1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I must be old, because this column was great (Phil Taylor: The Day Cool Died)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by kleeda, Jul 13, 2008.

1. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

This post goes to show that just because you have a few more stars under your name than everyone else doesn't make you immune from being an idiot/ass face.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I find it interesting that you took personal offense to a general statement, PTOWN.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I thought it was awful. Back in the day, when we used real typewriters, you couldn't get that kind of cliche crap past an editor.

4. SigR

SigR Member

I find it interesting that you assume he took personal offense to your general statement. At times, individuals speak up on behalf of the silent majority who typically avoid confronting asshats like yourself.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

157 posts, eh?

Enjoy the new name.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

We do know that Garnett's "Anything is possible!" cry to the rafters, after a very long pause, probably was due to him forgetting the adidas ad slogan ("Impossible is nothing!") when it was time for his post-clinching Disney World moment, right? Several people I know, who are pretty close to the situation, believe that the guy just blanked and shouted out a wide-miss bunch of gibberish.

I was counting on Garnett for joy, for smiles, for teammate jostling, maybe for a few tears and definitely the killer clinches with Bill Russell, which the NBA telecasts had foreshadowed so nicely in their little videotaped chats.

But I could have done without the over-the-top "passion" at that moment, the Tafoya fashion comment and the long, rambling bully-in-the-schoolyard metaphor that ate up most of his postgame press conference. That stuff seemed forced.

I thought Phil Taylor's column was fine, one of the best back-page SI pieces since Reilly started phoning them in several years before he actually left. And I think it's equally fine to disagree with Taylor's viewpoint, which is one reaction you want from a good column.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

During Jamie Foxx' Oscar acceptance speech, he referred a couple of times to his grandmother telling him, "act like you been somewhere." To me, that's what cool is, acting like you been somewhere. I wish JF's grandmother could deliver that message to athletes.

It's OK to show emotion, I think, but it should be done judiciously, as referred to in the Larry Centers anecdote.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Cool is a Joe Sakic celebration after he scores.

There is none. Just raises his stick and that's about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted