1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I must be old, because this column was great (Phil Taylor: The Day Cool Died)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by kleeda, Jul 13, 2008.

1. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Rave on, brother, if that's what you believe.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Michael Jordan didn't show emotion or let loose?

Craig Ehlo, five Western Conference teams and the tear-stained floor of the Bulls' lockerroom in the summer of '96 beg to differ.

3. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I could care less. For a guy who never thought he would sniff a ring in a Midwest basketball black hole to being traded and winning a title less than a year later, I found Garnett's speech to be genuine and funny as fuck. It wasn't 'cool', but I'd rather see a crazy, rambling, awkward postgame interview than a nonchalant superstar shrugging off their first championship win.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

You "couldn't" care less. "Couldn't" care less.

5. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

It's actually "locker room" and you forgot a comma.

Now there's a Bush-bashing thread that needs your saving. Get to it!

6. pallister

pallister Guest

No, I did not forget a comma; I'm not writing an essay on the social ramifications of Kevin Garnett's soul-stirring postgame speech for the 9th-grade English class you're trying to pass for the fourth time. :D

7. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

No, the gimmicky shit is screaming like a banshee because you know it'll get you on SportsCenter, like Garnett did. (Even though Garnett is not the best example of this practice.) Doesn't make sense to come out in favor of all these bullshit celebrations and then complain about this piece as gimmicky.

8. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

KG could never and will never be able to put a team on his back and take them to a title. He's an All-Star role player, who's scared to take the last shot. Nice guy all that crap (Rick Rickert probably disagrees) but he was lucky enough not to be another Chuck Barkley or Pat Ewing because Paul Pierce can knock down buckets. That was what was so entertaining to me. KG got to act like he did because of Pierce's greatness. Nothing More.

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Agreed. If Paul Pierce had let out that primal scream, maybe, MAYBE, it would have been appropriate. But KG? No.

10. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

isn't this thread about the SI column, not KG?

11. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Good point, 2 under.
    I thought it was a good column.
    But then, I also once covered a famous football player for a few seasons, and I'd always forget to watch his fucking touchdown celebrations, being more concerned with, like, who was winning the game and how the scoring play happened. Luckily other people were always willing to fill me in, and then I could watch every idiotic pantomime on ESPN that evening. But I never got why anybody cared.

12. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

OK, as long as we're back to talking about the column, the fact that the obit construction has been used before didn't bother me. I certainly don't think the device is so common that it's a cliche. It's unlikely that there were many readers who said, "Another faux eulogy? Really?" I thought he made his point in an interesting way, without seeming like an old fart bitching about these kids today.

Draft saved Draft deleted