1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I miss Piggly Wiggly (where do you shop for groceries?)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wedgewood, May 24, 2007.

1. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

I don't really miss the Pig. I just wanted to type the words Piggly Wiggly. I do miss Wegmans in West Windsor ... not the prices, but the selection. I'm keeping Meijer in business here in the heartland, but every now and again I go to a cool little place that has a great wine selection and sells rabbit in the frozen food section. Not that I eat rabbit ... or whatever other gross shit they sell.
    I think it's cool how every region has its own supermarket chain. Anyway, where do y'all shop?

2. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

Sorry, didn't mean to post it on the journalism thread.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Kroger, mostly.

When we need stuff in bulk we'll go to Sam's.

My wife travels widely to visit our daughters and will bring back treasures from Publix, Super Target, Fresh Market and/or a boutique grocery in the Birmingham, Ala., suburb of Homewood caled Tria Market -- which is, oddly enough, owned by Piggly Wiggly.

I ache for a Fresh Market nearby.

4. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Fred Meyer.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Been going to the super Giant ... but we have our first Wegman's coming to the area in the next two months. I know what it has from visits to my brother-in-law and Wilkes-Barre, and we can't wait.

6. My favorites are Publix (great deli) and Piggly Wiggly (great greenbax discounts for kid events) but I don't feel like driving 10 miles in heavy traffic to get to the nearest ones, so we end up going to Bi-Lo nearby or freakin' Wal-Mart - we have two within five miles of our house but their deli sucks a giant sausage.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

I am the subject of ridicule by some (slappy) because I load up at places like Fresh Market when I'm out of town. When the best they have around here is a Southern or Wal-Mart, I gladly take advantage of the chance to shop some place decent.

8. Fresh Market is the shit. I can go broke in there loading up on supersodda, buffalo mozz, mushrooms and wine ... etc. Maybe it's a good thing we don't have one here.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I looooove Whole Foods. Yes, a decent chunk of my paycheck goes there. But to me, it's worth it. Their produce is fantastic.

I do buy cereal, yogurt and other stuff at Sam's Club, which is starting to carry healthier foods in bulk.

10. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I love me some H-E-B here in Central Texas. We lived out-of-state for a few years in a locale where Kroger dominated the market, and that just sucked. Didn't like Kroger at all. H-E-B's high-end chain, Central Market, is way cool. I think it's like the Fresh Markets others have mentioned. I'm glad we don't live close to a CM (the nearest one is 90 miles away), otherwise we'd go broke in there.

11. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

The local Super Wal-Mart mostly ... but if I need specialty items, I shop at the local Lindy's Market or Kroger.

12. millseyboy11

millseyboy11 Guest

Living in South Texas, H-E-B is the only option for me. With that being said, since I'm a newbie and going to the store, I need to know what kind of beer to buy so I can fetch them for everyone else.

Draft saved Draft deleted