1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I miss MASH

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by casty33, Jan 7, 2015.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yes, it's channel 21.2 here, and it's great. Columbo, Sunday nights at 7 p.m., is the ONLY show I make it a point to watch every week.

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

In Southern California, it is on Channel 20 of Directv.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I don't miss M*A*S*H anymore, but I miss Columbo.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Any episodes with Col. Flagg are must sees for me.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I have watched season one, episodes 1-16 on Netflix. Few shows hit their peak the first season. I think MASH did.

Radar's character is fantastic. Sneaky, devious, levelheaded... he is shipping a Jeep back to Iowa, piece by piece!

Good lord, whose idea was it to turn him into such a wimp?

There are so many things that wouldn't fly today. Black surgeon named Spearchucker. In the episode with Leslie Nielson (the ring-tapper), Hawkeye and Trapper insinuate that Frank is gay, therefore a weirdo.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"Spearchucker" didn't fly so well in the 1970s either -- he was written out in Season 1.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Watched a couple of episodes on Netflix the other night. Didn't remember how "boys will be boys" it was. Sheesh ... If they ran that stuff on prime time these days, the shitstorm that would ensue!

8. poindexter

I don't remember what episode, but somewhere in the first three seasons, Margaret is being attacked by some amorous officer, and from her tent, she is yelling, "RAPE!"

Cut to Trapper, saying, "Rape? I've never been to a rape before!"

9. doctorquant

I didn't see that episode, but I have to say, the ones I watched made me very uncomfortable.

10. poindexter

eh, it doesn't bother me. They are a product of their times.

Perhaps in 40 years, the scat and sex jokes of today will be out of vogue. Sweet Dee of Always Sunny in Philadelphia this week said she likes to eat cock. And Hawkeye and Trapper are going to make me uncomfortable?

11. doctorquant

Yeah, you're right ... so let me clarify why they made me uncomfortable: "Their" times were pretty much my formative years! There was a time when I was laughing away at such stuff. Ugh.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

What? They called him that because he threw the javelin in college.

Draft saved Draft deleted