1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Miss Brent

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Oct 18, 2014.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

ESPN had to call Fowler's bluff. His contract was up and he wanted more play-by-play or he was walking. Nessler and Blackledge are most certainly the best on Saturdays, especially Blackledge.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm guessing Fowler's plan B was CBS to be the Nantz in waiting?

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

My vote for top team goes to Vern and Gary.
    McDonough and Spellman not a bad team either, although
    Not near top

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I was thinking they were grooming Jesse Palmer to be the next Herbstreit, but you may be right.

The real find on the SEC Network has been Marcus Spears. He doesn't seem to take things seriously enough to be an in-game analyst, but he's great in the studio and on the pre-game hype set.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I thought that Brent was awful for the last 10 plus years in terms of providing accurate information to the viewer.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

You can say that about the vast majority of announcers.

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

On that line, the production value of most big-time football (NFL/NCAA) broadcasts is so good that I don't always need 100% accuracy. I can slow it down, replay through my DVR. I like announcers with high-energy and gravitas (again - it's not that tangible - it's either there or not).

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Examples?

He was sure right about Katherine Webb

9. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I too miss Keith Jackson, but I will admit some bias since we went to the same college.
    One of my favorite Jackson calls actually wasn't football, but NASCAR's All-Star race in 1987, when Dale Earnhardt pulled off his misnamed Pass in the Grass. Jackson's call was great.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

This is a great look-back clip, and Jackson's call is in there, too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PtPNfVeMUd4

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Tebow has some good things to say, but too often he's clearly tightly scripted, and don't knock him off the path.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

He also seems to be the last person in America who thinks Jeff Driskel can be a winning SEC quarterback.

Draft saved Draft deleted