1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Miss Brent

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Oct 18, 2014.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Classic Mussberger

Kenny West?

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

It happened twice to poor Brent. First when CBS dumped him and Nantz replaced him on college basketball, and then Fowler. Both Nantz and Fowler are really good at many things (I probably like Nantz more than others), but they don't have the...whatever it is Brent has that makes him great on the big games. They're too normal.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

BTW this is a great effin game despite Fowler:s lack of big game ability

4. DanOregon

I'm also pretty sure CBS and ESPN have never had to fire up their PR department in response to something said during a broadcast by Nantz or Fowler.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Michaels was on Bill Simmons' podcast a couple of years ago, and they spent a solid hour just talking about all the big moments Michaels has been a part of. It seemed like they barely scratched the surface. He's like the sports broadcaster version of Forrest Gump.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I was going to say the same thing. Fowler wouldn't work as well, because he wouldn't be SO out of place. He would just be boring. I also like him as a host, but he plays it all a little too straight.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Fowler is the epitome of ESPN -- stilted, robotic, corporate, bland, vanilla, don't make waves to piss off the PR machine.

Burnt Hamburger brought the pizzazz. Keith Jackson was epic. 20 years ago was Colorado-Michigan and the replays of his call ... I never heard him more excited and he was EPIC on that call. EPIC. If Whoa-Nellie was on you tuned in. If Uncle Al is one your game, you tune in.

Fowler brings nothing for me. Buttoned up. Bland. Meh.

8. Boom_70

Best game of season and Fowler sounded like he was calling Bowling Green vs
    Ball St.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

He tried to sell it. When you do GameDay and then a game ... and you do that every week ... by midnight Eastern, you're toast. Bring back Nellie. Yes, even at 86.

10. Boom_70

That's a good point. The poor guy has to be fried. He's had people yelling in his ear for 15 hours.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

This might be the best bad misspelling of his name ever.

But at least you don't call him Burnt Hamburger. ::)

12. DanOregon

I'm tired. Long day.

Draft saved Draft deleted