1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I mean, WTF

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EE94, Jul 31, 2008.

1. KG

KG Active Member

This whole thing is just terrible.

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I keep reading the links, wire stories, etc. just because I seriously cannot believe it even happened. It's that far out there, to the point it doesn't even seem possible.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yup.

Evil doesn't begin to describe it.

4. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Amazing portrait pulled together under horrific conditions.
    I wonder if the accused was one of the passengers doing ecstasy?

5. Pete Incaviglia

I immediately wondered the same thing GB. I've never done e, but have friends who have. And the stories are insane.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/story/4207370p-4799735c.html

As if there weren't enough candidates for asshole of the year, somebody on Facebook decides to make a joke about this.

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

What a stupid story for the paper to publish, making a big deal out of a facebook troll and bringing him attention. What the guy posted wasn't outrageous, it was thoroughly predictable.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

No death penalty in Canada, so the poor misunderstood Mr. Li will get plenty of psychological counseling (at taxpayer expense of course) to see if he can recover from this misfortune and go on to live a productive life.

Rah rah, sis boom bah.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Well it sounds like he got a shit kicking some time between his stand off with police and his court appearance. I believe the Globe piece said his face was all bruised -- that is unless he landed on his face when he was pulled out the window of the bus by the cops.

My guess is he is a skitzopheranic who went off his meds. Only reasonable explanation I can come up with. One way or another -- even if it is in a mental institution -- I don't see him ever being allowed back out in to society to resume his 'productive life' as a paper delivery boy. At tax payers expense yes - which sucks, but mind you state sanctioned executions aren't exactly on the cheap, especially with all of the appeals that take place.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

We have lots of trolls like that around here.

11. Pete Incaviglia

Except the fact is Canada doesn't enough have a life sentence. I believe, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, Canada's "life sentence" is only 25 years with no chance of parole.

12. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

It is 25 years to life so you don't automatically get out after 25 years. 25 Years is the minimum.

People like Clifford Olsen or Paul Bernardo will never get out of prison. There is also a provision where someone can be held indefinitely regardless of what they have been convicted of providing they can be declared a "dangerous offender".

Draft saved Draft deleted