1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I mean, WTF

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EE94, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

This may be a stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway. I'm not all that familiar with Canadian lingo, and they refer to the victim as "aboriginal". I'm assuming that's roughly equivalent to "Native American". Am I right?

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Aboriginal.

Native Canadian

First Nation

Pretty much interchangeable.

However, HC's adopted brother, also an aboriginal, likes the term "wagon burners" :)

3. joe

joe Active Member

What I don't understand is the "standoff" part of the story. If the killer was the only one left on the bus, why didn't the police or Mounties or whatever just open fire on the guy and be done with it? I mean, fuck that dude. Shoot him to shit and let the passengers take a whack at him, too.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

We try not to encourage that kind of police behaviour.

They captured him when he tried to escape through the bus window.

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Ok, I'm not being critical or anything, but couldn't someone on the bus have tried to overpower the guy?

I'm mean one minute you're doing SuDoku and the next the guy in front of you is getting his fucking head cut off. I'm all for trying to protect yourself, but I'm just shocked that the first thought for these people wasn't "Hey, holy shit we've got to stop this guy, eh."

Even if he was jacked like Carrot Top </crossthread>, a bus full of people should have tried to stop him, not flee for their own personal selfish fucking safety.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The story said that one guy, with military training, was at the back of the bus and had started talking to a guy about overpower the stabber, but that when that guy ran off, the military dude figured taking him down by himself was not a viable option. (Don't know if that was the guy who knocked down the old lady on his way out -- was George Costanza on that bus?) Anyway, it sounds like the victim was killed so fast, it was smarter for everyone to get the hell off the bus instead of trying to play hero.

7. schiezainc

I'm not saying they would have saved the guy's life by overpowering the psycho, what i'm saying is that I find it amazing that everyone just up and fled the bus instead of trying to take him down. Sure, you may not have prevented a murder, but he wouldn't have had time to sit there, cut the guy's head off, parade it around like it's a fashion show in Milan and in turn send a bus load of folks into therapy for the rest of their lives.

8. EE94

EE94 Guest

I think that's easy to suggest when you haven't been sprayed with blood
    three guys did go back on the bus, but psycho chased them and they then locked him in the bus
    I'm not ashamed to admit I would have got the hell out of there

9. schiezainc

No offense, but anyone who would just up and run away while someone else is getting senselessly killed for no reason is a pussy in my book.

A whole fucking bus and not one person was brave enough to help this guy. That's some bullshit.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Dude. He had a Rambo knife. I'm not sticking my hand in there.

11. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Well, tough luck for the victim that you weren't there to save the day.

12. schiezainc

I'm not saying one person could have taken him, but you don't find it ridiculous that A WHOLE BUS just said: "Oh, well, it ain't my head getting cut off"?

I agree that it would have taken a brave person to go in there, and I honestly don't know how I would have reacted, but I damn well know I'd have a hard time living with myself if all I did was say "Well, fuck that guy".

Draft saved Draft deleted