1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I mean, if Big Papi can drop an F-bomb on TV...?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spikechiquet, Apr 21, 2013.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

My God. This isn't New York or L.A. or a network we are talking about.
    Yes...let's chalk this up to you being wrong.

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

My God! What wonderful journalism you got going there Drip...digging up that info and everything.

Oh...wait:

Yeah, trying reading the OP maybe?

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Was getting ready to ask that, spike. I have no TV experience beyond operating a remote, but I would guess that if someone's got a chance to get out of Bismarck, the station's not gonna hold him back!

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes.
    We've all made a million mistakes. If I counted mine, I'd die before I got halfway and that's even if I live another 20 years.
    But there are certain things you do not do. Ever. Curse near a mic is one of them.
    Station made the right call. As I said earlier, I have no issue if someone else wants to give him another chance. But they had no choice.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

As a "teevee" person here, I'd like to chime in on this...

First, that was inexcusable and an offense worthy of termination. I've been in this rat-race for 20 years and have been lucky to have never been fired. I can say that - one time - have I said one of the 'seven words' on a microphone (and that time never aired). NEVER in a studio. Never ever ever.

Robert Flores lost his main sports anchor job in Austin, TX a few years ago when he dropped an F-bomb on a TAPED sportscast that was to run in the morning (often, after the late news a sports anchor will tape a sportscast for the morning show). He resurfaced a month later in San Antonio and, later, at ESPN. I remember Danyelle Sargent dropped an F-bomb on ESPNEWS and the WWL dropped her soon after.

He deserved to be fired.

I wonder how it even got to the point where the news director there in North Dakota even put this guy on the air. He had a co-anchor and they should have just let her handle the newscast solo. He not only looked lost but incompetent as well. Wrong camera. Nothing to say.

I am definitely not the greatest TV guy in the world but I have never, ever had a "Boom Goes the Dynamite" show or even what this guy endured. Part of that may be my nature and part of it is preparation. I was scared to death for my first TV show but it came off without any awkward situations -- it was 6 minutes of sports with no "sound bites" to break it all up.

To me, I have NO idea how a show can be as awful as some that I've seen.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

As for non-competes, it depends on the ownership. Some ownership groups actually enforce a contract, holding their reporters to it "to the letter". Most don't as small-market reporters usually have the same skills and make the same $21k.

Anchors almost always have language that is non-compete. Usually 1 year. Most anchors have "outs", meaning they can leave for a specific state, market or position. Like the Lou Holtz "Notre Dame Clause". I have a few of those in mine.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Is a guy in Bismarck really going to have a contract?

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

He probably worked for food.

9. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

I know television people for local news stations in North Dakota that who have contracts.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

WHOOOOOO.
    GOD DAMN.
    WHO.

PAY FUCKING ATTENTION.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

ND, you wouldn't know where North Dakota is on a map even if we spotted you South Dakota, let alone know the contract situation of its on-air news personnel.

12. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Um, this kills me to defend Herpes McCreeper, but do you know the meaning of NDJournalist?

Draft saved Draft deleted