1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I mean, if Big Papi can drop an F-bomb on TV...?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spikechiquet, Apr 21, 2013.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Fired:

https://twitter.com/ClementeAJ

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm just wondering what little thought he was having that prompted him to just Tourette that out. And how could he not assume he was on the air, with the director's countdown having surely already completed.

3. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

Kind of a harsh and overhanded punishment.

4. NDJournalist

I assume this guy just started, and while this incident will undoubtedly make him well-known and land him plenty of job offers, what is he supposed to do with his apartment lease in Bismarck?

5. Via Twitter.

"I just want to say that I did not say the word gay, I was trying to pronounce the London Marathon winners name Tsegaye Kebede."

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, there's a HUGE market in TV for talentless guys who say "fuckin' shit" on the air.

I feel a little bit bad for the guy -- ending his career within the first two seconds of his first anchoring spot -- but he clearly never should have been hired in the first place.

7. NDJournalist

He was nervous. But he obviously has talent if Bismarck hired him from all the way in WV. It wasn't a good start for him, no doubt. But he has to sign a non-compete clause (standard in that industry for about 1-2 years) to be there, and then the TV station doesn't hold up his end of the deal.

And PC, if you search his name on Twitter or look at the KFYR Facebook page, you'll see his support is massive.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Someone will take a chance on him.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Oy.

There are a few basics in this business - one of them is never curse in front of a microphone. He's seated AT THE ANCHOR DESK.

He got what he deserved. Should it define him and ruin all future chances? I'd hope not, but that's not for me to say. Here? He got what he deserved.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

It's like you learned nothing from my first run-through with him 4-5 handles ago. He asks for advice, then fucking shits all over it.

Thank goodness I didn't say that in front of a live mic on TV!

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

I definitely see your point and can't argue too much. It was obvious the kid was nervous and hopefully, he won't make the same mistake again. But Moddy, if the kid is really talented, do you deep six him that easily? I think I know what you're going to say but I'd like to hear your take.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I can't believe I'm climbing down this wormhole.

(1) No, its not obvious he has talent for them to hire him all the way from West Virginia. You don't charge by the mile. They hired him because they thought he was the best option willing to work in Bismarck for the money they were paying. That's all. They found out immediately that he isn't their best option. He can't speak on camera. He swears on camera. I'm not sure I've ever worked with a college intern who wouldn't be better than this guy.

(2) Non-compete clause isn't necessarily standard in the industry, and sure as hell not for 1-2 years. They're illegal in some states. I'm in one of them.

(3) The station has no obligation to keep this guy. If he was under contract, I promise you he breached that contract. He also teed up the station for a substantial FCC fine. It's unlikely to happen under the current FCC leadership, but 5 years ago it would have scared management shitless, and guaranteed it's still a concern.

(4) People posting support on Facebook is beyond meaningless.

Draft saved Draft deleted