1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I mean, if Big Papi can drop an F-bomb on TV...?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spikechiquet, Apr 21, 2013.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

From a 5 p.m. newscast Sunday night:

And an apology from the ND via facebook: "To all of you who are writing in...I want to apologize for an incident that occurred prior to our early newscast this evening, when one of our employees used profanity on the air.

He did not realize his microphone was on, but still, that's no excuse. WE train our reporters to always assume that any microphone is live at any time. Unfortunately, that was not enough in this case. WE can't take back what was said. The person involved has been suspended until we resolve the situation. All we can do at this point is ask for your forgiveness, and I can offer my personal assurance that I will do my best to ensure that nothing like this ever happens again under my watch.

Monica Hannan, KFYR-TV News Director"

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

After a screw up like that he's going to be lucky if he can get a job reading the news in Bismark. Oh, wait...

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Sue Simmons wonders what the big deal is.

4. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

I was watching TV tonight and saw an ad for Sailor Jerry with a song lyric that said "I ain't no goddamn son of a bitch."

5. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

"Tell us a little about yourself." "I'm from West Virginia" "Great"
    Dynamite banter there, gang!

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Judging by the "talent" of those two anchors, the phrase "Everybody has to start somewhere" means your first job is in Bismarck, North Dakota.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I just looked it up -- it's market 151. That's horrendous even for a market that small.

The local university here does a daily newscast that blows that one out of the water.

8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I started in market DMA 178 (now 180 I think). The talent is much better "down there" than this hilljack.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Based on what the co-anchor said it sounds like it was this the kid's first night on the air at that station.

Way to kick off your career pal.

10. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

It was his first night on the desk.

The offending anchor's Twitter response: "That couldn't have gone any worse!"

http://deadspin.com/brand-new-tv-news-anchors-first-words-on-air-fuckin-476700466

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The only newscast I can recall that looked worse than that was Juneau, Alaska around 1990. That's market 207 out of 210. A photog I worked with was hired to be the sports anchor there. They hired him sight unseen. They didn't even have a tape from him. They hired him solely because he was willing to take the job. The main anchor looked like he was about 90. For some reason they scripted fake anchor banter that was absolutely brutal.

News anchor: So, do any fishing this weekend?
    Sports guy: You should see the one that got away.
    News and sports guys: Heh heh heh.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

It looked like the guy had never been in front of a camera before.

Draft saved Draft deleted