1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I may be treading on blasphemy here, but....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TrooperBari, Feb 23, 2008.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

.... I'm seriously considering quitting The Caffeine for good. I go through at least 24 to 32 oz. of Diet Pepsi daily (no coffee or tea, thanks), so not only would eliminating that from my diet aid weight loss, it would save me a fair bit of money.

Does anyone have any experience with this, cold turkey or otherwise? Or am I inappropriately weauxfing the Journalism Gawdz by questioning my closest companion of the last decade?

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I gave up Diet Coke and coffee last Lent. Drank nothing but juices and uh, juice. Gained 5 pounds.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

It can be tough, but when I moved to Texas I completely stopped drinking soda pop - except for root beer that doesn't have caffeine. It didn't really bother me that much, though I still drink coffee.

Soda pop is so bad for you because of all the sugar.

4. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

I was a coffeeholic for years, still am, but now I only drink decaf. I went off the wagon for a few days last week, and felt like complete shit. So it was back to the green container. I'm way too neurotic anyway and caffeine only makes things worse. Good luck with your addiction. I didn't find it all that hard to give up. Cigarettes and alcohol, however ...

5. TrooperBari

Does that change for the diet variety, or does the aspartame negate any such benefits? I haven't been able to drink the regular kind since I experienced the difference between cane sugar sweetening and high fructose corn syrup.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I kind of like the idea of decaf. I would still get to taste the coffee, which I like, but wouldn't be pumping so much caffeine into my body. Did you notice a benefit from no more normal coffee?

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Drink grapefruit juice, dude. It rules.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'm not sure how the diet root beer effects you, but I assume it doesn't have caffeine either, so if you are trying to cut caffeine out then it is an easy replacement to initially go to to kick the caffeine addiction. Then you can worry about weening yourself off of the diet soda.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I give up cokes each Lent. The first week is a little rough. I yawn more, but otherwise it's not big deal.

10. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Gratefruit is better.

11. TrooperBari

Not a chance, sir. My father loves the stuff and tried to get his offspring hooked at a young age ... failed on all three of us. Never could develop a taste for it.

Other juices? Sure, though I usually stick to Tropicana orange juice (no concentrate) and the local passion-orange-guava blend.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm only cool enough for the grapefruit. I know my limits.

Draft saved Draft deleted