1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Make The Call

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by forever_town, Nov 30, 2009.

1. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

As some of you know, I've been officiating high school football games this year. I just finished my first season as a zebra. Bear in mind that a first-year official can't be a white hat (head referee) in a game in high school.

I had a typical rookie season with some games in which I was indecisive, made some rookie mistakes, etc. Definitely a learning experience.

I just reffed a couple of flag football games this weekend. As the white hat. The interesting thing was, I felt so much more comfortable than I did at any time during the season. It almost was as if being a white hat fit me better than being a head linesman or a line judge. In fact, after the game, one of the organizers called me and told me I gave off the vibe that I really knew what I was doing.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Good for you.
    I bet you looked cute in those black shorts. LOL.

3. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

The people in Ed Hochuli's entourage probably tell him the same thing.

I've umpired for a long time and everything always seems A-OK out there until you make a bad call or blow one altogether because your eyes can't be everywhere. At least in football you're a little further from the spectators and perhaps more importantly, the parents.

4. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

The thing that struck me about the weekend's games was how much more comfortable I was as a white hat and how much more decisive I felt. The same thing happened last year when I did fall baseball after my first baseball season as an umpire.

5. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

This was the first year I decided to cover football games from the sidelines instead of the press box. I was amazed at how much abuse the refs take from the coaches. Obviously I knew it was happening because you can see it from anywhere you sit but you don't really get a feel for it until you're down there.

Not to get too personal or anything but what kind of cash do high school football refs make? I know baseball umpires are paid pretty generously and I'd have to think football would be the highest paying.

6. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

I know Pennsylvania pays pretty well. Around $70 to $80 a game, I thought I heard. I think the white hat gets a bit more.

The real money for football is in doing the Saturday morning-afternoon midget quadruple headers, from what I hear.

Draft saved Draft deleted