1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Loved 1968. Let's do it again!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Dec 6, 2006.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

You're with me, silver girl.

2. Oh, sail on, the two of you.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

What the hell is that in your sig? Did you just get back from the Peshtigo fire or something?

4. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Only you and I seem to appreciate the greatness that IS Archie Bell and the Drells.

5. Bubbler

I was nodding silently.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

This is a great song. You can't help but tap your feet. And it's Beach Music, a distinct style, as also performed by Bill Deal and the Rondells (and the title of an average Pat Conroy book)..

PS: His father played professional baseball with the Detroit Tigers' organization; John Fred coached baseball himself before his death from kidney problems at Tulane Hospital in New Orleans on April 15, 2005.
    Thanks, Google.

Archie Bell was the older brother of former USC running back Ricky Bell.

The biggest news of 1968 was the Micropolitan Kid discovering the joys of tonsil hockey in his first serious makeout session, with Laura Butler at the annual Sadie Hawkins dance that fall. My oh my. She was so far ahead of me it wasn't funny.

7. Bubbler

Since Jim Morrison died in July 1971 and I was born, I think it's pretty safe to say I'm his reincarnation.

In '68, we dropped Waiting For The Sun. The drugs were taking hold. The pigs fucked with me and Robbie in Chicago. Densmore and Manzarek ran like the pussies they are.

That's all the shit that everyone remembers, I just remember that the double-fisted punch of Hello, I Love You and Touch Me got my cock bronzed by chicks in every tour stop from El Lay to Portland, Me.

Did I mention that the we need "great Golden copulations" and that "death and my cock are the world?" Feel my poetry.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Somebody has their mojo rising.

9. Can I just say that I am proud, having started this thread, that it has evolved into a discussion of: a) the relative merits of John Fred and the Playboy Band vis a vis Archie Bell and the Drells, and b) Bubbler's channelling of Jim Morrison's well-bronzed manhood.
    I am in awe.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Greatest Jim Morrison quote ever:

"I wanted to see what it looked like in a spotlight"

-- When asked why he exposed him self on stage.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

It only sucks because it gets dragged on so long by all the na-na-ing.

But I will say that the video, which features the crowd slowly moving in on the Beatles until they can barely move, while everybody is na-na-ing themselves into a tizzy, is a complete '60s lovefest moment.

The neatest part of Archie's story is that he was lying in bed in a military hospital in West Germany, trying to convince everybody else on the ward that, yes, "that is me singing on the radio." Nobody believed him, apparently.

12. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

The na-na-na ing is only one element of its suckitude.

Draft saved Draft deleted