1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I love you TJ Simers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by VJ, Sep 13, 2007.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Just keep in mind that Andrew Dice Clay was an act, too.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

But a better act than TJ.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Thanks . . .

But there are still laughs to be had, here . . .

O. J. . . . O. J. . . . please pick up the white (Bronco) courtesy phone . . .

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

And let's not stop there . . . next, we gaze upon Matty The Stud, who's been so, so
    generous with his personal essence throughout the immediate area . . .

This could be a career.

5. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

This was quite good, from the responses column:

TOM LARSON: "Red yer leter in da locl newspapr da uder day that yous lookin fer a place to stey in Neebrasska and well heck I talkd it over wit Eunice and well shucks yous kin stey at our place. We got a 2 bedrrom place fer us and 18 kids, ummm bout 9 boys and I thunk 6 girls. Just fixd da place up whil ago, put sum plywod round the place, heck ya kaint neven tell its a trailor. Luk frwrd to seing yu."

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

A non sequitur of grand proportions.
    (So was Bob Hope.)

7. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

AWE-FUCKING-SOME!!!!!!!

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

8. Gold

Gold Active Member

BINGO !

9. dooley_womack1

Unless you're being willfully dense, you get my point.

10. fishwrapper

Of course I get your point. I see your analogy. But, I don't think you're getting mine.

Bob Hope was fired from his first studio because he was too outspoken and controversial -- in your face.
    So much so, a studio wouldn't touch him for four or five years.

11. dooley_womack1

I was just saying that people were saying that critics of Simers don't get that he's an act. I think we do. We just think, in general, that it's an unpleasant act, the unpleasantness not serving a greater purpose, regardless of its artfulness.

12. fishwrapper

That's a valid and fair statement. Probably correct.
    I happen to disagree, but we could do this dance 'til the blisters form. I just think comparing him to a foul-mouthed, profane, appealing-to-the-lowest-common-denominator comic with a short shelf life is a bit unfair, too.
    Simers has been a columnist around six years. He's been a journalist for 35 years. Just because one dislikes his style, at some level there should be a respect -- maybe that's the wrong word -- for professional know-how. I think that gets lost when we talk about some of the personalities in our profession, no matter how the rub you.

Draft saved Draft deleted