1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Love You, Beth Cooper

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Jul 12, 2009.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I loved this book. Loved it. Heard they were doing a movie and feared how it would come out.

Apparently, I was right.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1198658-i_love_you_beth_cooper/

11 percent right now on rotton tomatoes.

"This unfunny, unoriginal, charmless teen comedy is so stunningly awful from start to finish, it's amazing to think its director has made a single film before, much less a dozen." -- NYDN

"I was stunned to learn that Beth Cooper was created by actual filmmaking veterans." -- Oregonian

"A flat, tired rehash of teen movie story tropes, the film attempts to have it both ways by winkingly acknowledging its secondhand origins." -- LA Times

I probably wasn't going to see it anyway after seeing the trailer...but now I'm definitely out. Anyone planning on still seeing it? Or were you ever?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I actually just read a great review of it in EW.

It made me want to see it and I hate the Heroes chick. Something about her is like a fork on a chalkboard for me.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I just read the review on EW.com. It was two paragraphs long and only covered the first five minutes of the movie. Am I missing something?

4. Petrie

Petrie Guest

I'll still see this for 2 reasons:

(1) The last two movies I've seen are Bruno (last night, theater) and My Giant (today on some TV station after waking up)...need something to get those movies out of my head.

(2) Never actually seen Heroes, but I think I love Beth Cooper :)

5. Mizzougrad96

The review in the magazine was pretty long.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

newspaper reviews i've seen were decidely mixed -- from awful (one star) to better-than-average (three stars).

7. cnn.com's review was positive.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Apparently she has a topless scene, which is reason enough to see it if you think she's attractive.

And, having seen her get frisky with the Stanley Cup, I do. :)

9. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Yeah, her "topless" scene doesn't contain nudity. It's a shot of her from the back wearing a towel and she flashes the nerd who is smitten with her. No little Panettieres to be seen.

I knew this movie would blow when Extra and Access Hollywood were having "blow-out coverage" of Hayden's nude scene.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Hmmmm.......yeah......the trailer I saw showed that scene but not much else worthy of interest, which means I'll probably take a pass too. Thanks for the warning about the nudity that ain't!

11. Mizzougrad96

I think the PG-13 rating was a giveaway.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

So a movie starring an actress who can't act sucks? Get the skywriters ready to announce that one to the world.

Draft saved Draft deleted