1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I love Woody Austin's candor

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

So Woody totally gags today on the 18th hole of the Zurich Classic in New Orleans. Needs a four to get in a playoff with Romero, and he drives it into thickest rough on the hole, hits a hybrid maybe 30 feet with a terrible swing, hits his next shot in the water, then misses a put and finishes with a seven. Romero still leads by one, although at this point I think only one guy can catch him.

After the round, they interview Woody, and ask him what happened.

"I choked like an absolute dog. I puked my guts out the entire back nine. That's what happened. I flat-out choked. I always struggle with my nerves, and I didn't handle it well at all today. I just played like a major league choker the entire back nine. I had to have the best putting round of my life just to have a chance. I choked. I don't have a problem with sayting that."

Wish all athletes were that honest.

2. And his sponsors are now puking in the hospitality tents.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

That's good stuff.

I hope that guy wins a big one.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I knew I liked that guy for a reason ...

And I doubt his sponsors will be too upset, Fenian. His mess at 18 isn't a reflection of his equipment and any company he carries on his shirt, visor or bag.

5. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

At least he can gracefully plunge into the lake while hitting a ball.

6. Cowboycane

Cowboycane Member

Woody's a great guy... first covered him during the Tour Championship in the 90's... he was hilarious. Started referring to him as "cult hero Woody Austin" I always find myself pulling for him.

7. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

If Woody hadn't said he choked, Johnny Miller surely would've said it for him.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

And that's why I like Johnny, because he's one of the few color guys that will be honest in a situation like that.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I was at a craps table with Woody once. No one seemed to know who he was, but I said "nice shootin' Woodrow" after he rolled a winner and he gave me the slightest of nods. A very cool, subtle move from a guy most known for bashing his putter upside his head.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Trust me...there are no sponsors Woody Austin has who are that upset because he didn't win a tournament. Not like he's getting Tiger Nike money from anyone.
    Woody's on minute 14.

11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I don't know how Austin can be so insensitive in the wake of the whole Michael Vick thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted