1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I love this stuff

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spud, Sep 4, 2006.

1. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

I had been in press boxes before this, but the first time I was at Yankee Stadium as a reporter was nearly a religious experience, especially when I got down to the field after the game with the place completely empty. I was there working on a feature, so I was lucky enough to really take it all in so I don't look & act like a dope when I'm back there again (hopefully on a regular basis... OK, I'm done going through the entire Rosary. Twice).

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

spud: College equestrian beat? Yikes.

Anyway, sorry if I pissed on your parade. Not my intention. My first assignment at the college paper was sidebar duty on the big Tech-West Virginia Thursday night game. They needed someone because all of the staffers wanted to get drunk. There was a certain feeling of wow involved, mostly because I'd never even been in a situation where I was interviewing people before. So I know where you're coming from.

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I wouldn't know where to begin if I had to cover horse jumping. Yep, methinks you've seen the ugly side already.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Good for you, Spud. Just don't get too enamored with the press boxes. I'm amazed at some longtime vets in the business (some, not all!) who cover sports like golf and autos and spend the whole time indoors (granted at an NFL game there may not be anywhere else to go, but you know what I mean). Don't ever lose the enthusiasm to the point that you can't walk around at some point and enjoy the atmosphere.

5. spud

spud Member

It got to the point where, as I was walking back from the press conference in the bowels of the stadium to the box, I just had to stand at the 50 yard line and do a quick 360 of the empty stadium. Honestly, even with all of the BS politicking and everything else that goes hand in hand with this job, the actual dirty work makes up for it.

After having tasted the big time I can take the womens soccer and the softball. Just so long as I know where I'm working towards after college ends, I'm good.

6. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Standing in an empty stadium or arena and just taking it all in is one of the greatest perks of this job. I remember standing on the edge of the floor of an empty Assembly Hall (IU version) and staring at the banners and taking a deep breath with a smile on my face that stretched from end line to end line. Soak up that feeling, son. Not many people get to experience it.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

RFK locker room after a Monday Night Football game suggested to me that I needed to dial it down a couple of notches. What a cluster-f*ck.

8. KP

KP Active Member

Think he can work at the Plain Dealer?

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I did one better, I think. ;)

Covering Virginia Tech football game two years out of college, I went down to Blacksburg and stayed with some friends the night before. At 6 am on gameday, four of us went down to Lane Stadium, because they knew the gate would be unlocked. And we kicked field goals for an hour. Nobody ever said a word to us.

Doubt you could do that today.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

god bless ya spud. hope you're enjoying the hell out of it.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

When I was in school, shot, it seemed like couples were ... uh ... kind of "enamored" with the 50-yard-line at Lane.

This was in the B.C. era of Tech football (pre-Michael Vick), so yeah, I think things have changed a little.

12. Go for it, Spud. Yeah, there's BS and politics and pricks in this job, just like in any job. But no job I know of can give you goose bumps like 20 minutes before The Huge Game, probably a Rival Game, when a packed stadium is so loud your ears ring until Thursday. Accounting can't do that.

Draft saved Draft deleted