1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I love this stuff

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spud, Sep 4, 2006.

1. spud

spud Member

I don't know if anybody cares, in which case the mods can promptly delete this sucker, but I wanted to share my enthusiasm with people who at least understand my euphoria.

I'm a young gun, and I spent last weekend in a NFL press box and spent this weekend in a major market college football press box, and I'd like to think I did alright there. I've been trying to figure out if I have any kind of future in such a tough field, but after this weekend I've decided that there is no better job than this one. There are ups and downs, but right now, for me anyway, I'm about as happy as can possibly be with my career choice. Maybe I'll become embittered by the business, but I'll enjoy this while it's here.

Anybody else remember your first experiences in a big time market? Or period? Were you cranked up? I know it's a tough job, the benefits are non-existant and the hours and payscale are pretty shitty, but would you want to be doing anything else?

Just wanted to share with you guys that I know I wouldn't...

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The job itself is a blast. It's the bullcrap the bean-counters put us through to DO the job that burns people out and pisses them off.

Enjoy it while you can. It'll be a time in your life you'll never forget.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

spud ... just so you know, there's a ton more to covering a college or pro team than being in the press box on gameday. The first time you spend five hours calling 12 different people trying to nail down that big-name transfer to the school you're covering, you'll understand. ;)

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Ease up with the reality check, you two. He's feeling good, so let him feel good about it.

Yeah, spud, it can be a damn nice job more often than not.

5. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

the NFL ad link in spud's first post leads to "1000's of dog collars."

hmmmm

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

shot, ain't got no problem with the kid feeling good.

His line of "I've been trying to figure out if I have any kind of future in such a tough field, but after this weekend I've decided that there is no better job than this one," gave me pause. He ought to know there's a lot more to this craft than just showing up at games.

7. spud

spud Member

Considering that my first ever beat was college equestrian, I think I realize this.

8. Spud --
    Everyone on this board felt the same way you do at some point. Don't let them kid you.

9. lono

lono Active Member

Spud:

Fenian is right.

It's the best job in the world.

It also happens to be one of the worst businesses, but you can still make it work for you.

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

First big-timer was a radio interview with former baseball manager Dick Williams as he passed through, and despite his being a prick I kept with it. There's just something to getting information from those in the know and passing it along.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

welcome aboard, kid. 8) 8) 8)

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Kiss your relationships and social life goodbye.

Draft saved Draft deleted