1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I love this business, but I am so depressed

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Billy Monday, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

Friends laid off. Budget cuts. Staff cuts. Hiring freezes.
    Anybody got any good news about growth in this business?
    Will the business be able to sustain decent staff sizes in 5-10 years?
    Anybody got any somewhat serious tips on how to cheer yourself up in this age?

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Drink?

3. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

[​IMG]

Bottoms up big fella.

Edit: Seriously though, know that you are able to watch people play a game day in and day out and you are able to tell their stories in a cohesive, beautiful manner.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

Obviously.

What else though?

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Quit paying attention to the news. It's designed to be disturbing so you'll buy more stuff. Just do what you do ... and if "what you do" happens to include the full spectrum of skills that modern newsrooms need to extend their reach on the Internet(s), then you have nothing to be particularly concerned about.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Newspapers might eventually cease to exist, but there will always be a need for information and journalists to dispense it. We might all wind up as Web folks, but there will always be a need for us.

Which I guess is pretty much what HH said.

Oh, and beer always helps, esp. a nice, cold Fat Tire.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Henry just nailed it.

If you love what you do, keep doing it, keep expanding your skills to include what you'll need to succeed in the Internet newsroom down the line.
    Worry about you, what you do, how you can do it better and how you can make a future for yourself.

One other thing, there will still be newspapers 20 or 30 years from now.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Hope you guys are right.

Just so much crap happening nowadays, makes it hard to keep the faith.

9. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Go sit with a newspaper CEO. It will at least provide you with some comic relief, listening to so much BS.

10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

It might not work for everybody, but when I'm feeling anxious about the career I've chosen, I do my best to engage myself completely in my work. I focus solely on how I can make my writing better, what good ideas I've had lately, how to pull them off, what is wrong with my interview style, how to improve it. Worry only about what you can control and I think you'll feel better, if not because of the distraction it offers.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

but if newspapers cease to exist, won't we all lose the lucrative retirement plans our papers have set up for us?

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'd be more worried about having a job next week if i were you.

Draft saved Draft deleted