1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I love middle school basketball coaches

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pilot, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I don't cover that shit, but we let them submit briefs about their games if they want. Pretty damn easy way to kill space in slow weeks, and it keeps them happy. It also makes for some hilarious "stories."

(For the record, we edit the hell out of them, so this would never run, but it pretty typical of what we get)

This isn't even the best. A couple weeks ago we had a "they played hard and just got edged out, 55-2" or something like that. Or "in the locker room the team decided they would hold Bumblefuck in the third quarter. They did it! Bumblefuck's worst quarter was the third, and the Little Shits went on to barely lose 44-4."

I wish I was saving them.

2. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Sounds like Bumblefuck needs a feature on them.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

Why is Bumblefuck running up the score?

4. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Hey, they try as hard as everyone else! They DESERVE the coverage!

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Those Little Shits shouldn't have been talking shit before the game.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

amen brother harley.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Got a phone call tonight from a guy who wanted to know if we ran JV scores... when I said "ummm, no," he wondered why. When I told him, it was like I crushed his spirit... I felt good about it...

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

there's a special place in heaven for folks like you, slapster. may god bless you.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

You should have told him there's no Santa Claus, either, too. He probably would have hanged himself with his shoelaces.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

A depressed Ed McShitz, father of junior varsity basketball standout Timmy McShitz, takes solace in a bottle of booze after being told that the Douchenozzle Daily News doesn't run JV scores.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

mr. mcshitz's little boy is going to miss out on a free ride at a d-I school thanks to our boy, the slapster.

god bless him.

12. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

I like that a little better.

Anyway, I remember a varsity girls basketball call I took last season. The coach of the team told how they lost (approximately) 74-4.

Coach: "Yeah. We're pretty bad."
    Me: "Sounds like it."

Needless to say, I had given up on the industry by that point. It felt good to just say what I really thought and not have to worry about bullshitting people.

Draft saved Draft deleted