1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I love being home

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ledbetter, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

I've spent a total of three nights at home in the past year. I got into town today at 6 p.m. and went to dinner at the best place in town with my parents at 7:30. The food was the best I've had all year, the beer and wine were great and I saw a dozen friends in the restaurant that I haven't seen in a year. Our meal was $220 and dad gladly picked up the check.

Tomorrow I'll run with one friend, have lunch with another and visit a couple of Christmas parties in the afternoon before heading over to my brother's place about 10 p.m. to help him put together some toys for his kids.

Christmas Day will start at one brother's house at 7 a.m. so we can watch his kids open their presents from Santa. Then comes breakfast, followed by the entire family gathering at my parents' to open presents for a couple of hours, followed by lunch. Later in the day I'll have a few beers with one of my closest friends before calling it a night and heading out of town in the morning.

I love being home.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Sounds cool. Very cool. Enjoy.
    We're having family time watching House on DVD. The days before Christmas with the kids home will be cool. Christmas will blow major grits, trying to get too much done and prepare a dinner for too many people - most of whom don't like me very much.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I didn't know many of us on the board were heading your way. :D

Hope to make something of Christmas. I put together our throwaway Christmas Day edition, book it a few hours back home. Mom is among those snowed in in Colorado ... if we're lucky she gets home late Monday night. Other parent hasn't had the best of health the last few years.

And extended family? Wanted to eat out this past Saturday to "get it out of the way." Can you feel the warm fuzzies? ::)

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

You're cooking for me....oh wait Sam beat me to it. :D

My wife's birthday is tomorrow and we host her family every year before heading to my parents on Christmas Day. So inevitably, we spend the few days racing up to Christmas Eve and Christmas Day saying crap like "I cannot wait until this is over." Then this is over and we're melancholy.

This could be an interesting year. My mom insists that one two-pound roast and one seven-pound ham are enough for a party of at least eight, but my wife disagrees and has bought another roast she'll bring to the house. My mom is weird enough to be insulted by that. So we'll see.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I have been home for about two weeks. Too much of a good thing.

6. Moderator1

"We have enough food."
    "You sure?"
    "Yes, I'm sure. But thanks for offering. All you need to bring is yourselves. Looking forward to seeing you (fingers crossed)."

So they show up with food and food and food and more fucking food and most of it is inedible and then WE have to clean up afterward and store the leftovers (until the next a.m. when I chuck them).

I'd much rather host an Assholes of SportsJournalists.com Convention. Seriously. Think 21's Thanksgiving with Jeff Foxworthy overtones.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Tried nipping that in the bud on Thanksgiving and got nowhere.
    15 pound turkey and 3 pound ham (along with other various and sundry food stores) were more than enough for 11...
    My favorite part is when the people who are supposed to bring the relish tray and other premeal munchies are the last ones to show up...

8. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

"Hey Moddy, where's that pan of possum enchiladas I brought? I thought I'd have a little midnight snack."

"Um, jeez, we musta eaten it all."

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

This will not end well.

10. Moderator1

Well, there is venison on the menu. Smoked. Along with my turkey. And my Christmas spirit.

11. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

I have no responsibilities at all, but I know my mom will send me to the nearby Kroger at least twice in the next 36 hours.

12. Moderator1

If I get sent out, I may go to YOUR Kroger and then come to your house.

Draft saved Draft deleted