1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I love Apple

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Sep 9, 2011.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I STG you're my magical twin I've never met.

2. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I had an iBook that I most likely would still have if the power would still charge. Worked great until it wasn't able to get a good connection with the connector anymore. I donated it to a co-worker of my mom's who got old computers and either refurbished them or used them for spare parts to build computers for children who needed them for school but their parents couldn't afford a brand new one.

Now I have a MacBook Pro. Love it. Absolutely love it.

3. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

Apple has been hit or miss for me. I had an iMac G3 in college, bought with a little left over scholarship money. I got it because the journalism department only used Mac, and I was tired of going to the labs for design projects. Great little computer for home and school work. I upgraded to an iMac G5, which had problems. The power source kept frying the mother board. But Apple was great about making sure I had it repaired in a timely manner.

I upgraded that for the first MacBook to replace the iBook line. What a piece of crap. I know better than to buy the first of anything, but I wanted to go portable. Hated that thing. Battery wouldn't hold a charge after six months, mother board kept failing, unresponsive USB ports. I dumped it off for cheap on eBay.

My current is an iMac Intel, bought in Feb. 2008 and still running strong. I just boosted the memory, so it's running as fast as the day I bought it. It should ultimately last me 5 years. Around then, I'll probably look for something new. Ideally, this thing will run for another 3 years, and I'll get an iPad so I can web surf and play games and not have to sit at the computer desk. After all day of sitting at a desk for work, I'd rather not do it when I get home, too.

4. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Those 27-inch iMacs are, indeed, the bee's knees.

rb

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I have an iBook G4 that I got in 2003. It still runs, albeit much more slowly than it did back in its heyday. It still does what I need it to do, however.

6. Macs are quite hit or miss. I've heard several stories from people who just loved their Mac. Mine was definitely in the miss category. If it froze five times or fewer in a week, that was a successful week for it.

I'm now a die-hard PC user.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

PCs haven't ever suffered from freezing or blue screens of death.

8. Not nearly as often as Macs do, in my experience. That's what happens when you get a bad Mac.

9. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

It's all in personal experience. I've had mostly bad experiences with Apple products (seriously, my iPod touch won't run apps for more than 30 seconds at times even after I reinstall them and barely holds a charge), average to decent experience with PCs overall and great experiences with Dell (a little Inspiron that's still running great six years later and a year-old Studio that they replaced the HD for free on after I dropped it and broke the spindle).

No computer company is perfect, and all of them have products fail on a fairly regular basis. The ones that fail on you are going to be the ones that color your opinion.

Stitch - No antivirus program on my machine (our company has one on the internal server that scans our machines when they're hooked up at the office but nothing on the individual computers). It will freeze up regularly when only running 3-5 programs (Safari, Firefox, Entourage, Quark and VPN) and is just deathly slow even when it's not freezing. Yeah, it's old and I can't take off the servers that probably slow it down more, but it's just not a very good machines. It's actually a new body because the LCD screen on the first one died, so we just put the hard drive in a new body, and it's gone through at least four batteries because they all have a tendency to overheat, swell, lose their contacts with the computer and risk bursting from the pressure. My company certainly doesn't help them, but they're not good machines either.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Surprised when I hear this. OS X is built on BSD. It has been tested by public distribution. It makes a for a way more stable operating system than anything Microsoft ever builds, which is always released with a ton of bugs and vulnerabilities -- and then they spend years figuring out the problems and issuing patches.

For most people, the operating system is the GUI -- the graphical interface. I personally think OS X is a better interface. But as far as the guts beneath? OS X is MUCH more stable and less prone to glitches. It's Apples major advantage, because the hardware itself is no different (especially now that hey use Intel processors) and they even charge more for that hardware than if you buy an off brand machine.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Crapware is why I won't buy a Windows PC anymore. Is there anyway to buy a consumer laptop (Dell, HP, etc.) from a consumer channel without crapware installed?

Thank goodness I don't work in IT. I worked in technical support for a few large ISPs before the cable and phone companies took over that market, and worked in Windows support for a Microsoft contractor, and it was nothing short of pulling teeth to help those customers.

Of course, a lot of computer problems probably could be avoided if users didn't click on every Web ad they see or every link in an email, and their system trays didn't extend halfway across the task bar.

Draft saved Draft deleted