1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I lost another friend

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

It's hard to tell. It was shorter than I thought it would be, only a half hour or so. I'm not sure if that's good or bad. They seemed to like some of my answers.

I'm guessing they won't be making a decision for a while because of the coronavirus. If they offer me the job, great. If not, on to something else, I guess.

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Did you find, after speaking to them, that you actually still want the job, and hope that you can get it? And for reasons/sentiments beyond just the fact that you may need it?

3. Smallpotatoes

I think I could enjoy working with them. It's kind of quiet in the office, which is an old Catholic elementary school. It's a chance to learn about some new things. I don't know if I could like it as much as sportswriting, but it could be good and I think I would like it more than what I am currently doing.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Best wishes.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  5. Smallpotatoes

Yesterday morning I received an email from them stating that the hiring process will be delayed due to the coronavirus.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I never interviewed well in person. So maybe it is just my experience. But I will be damned if I could ever figure out how an interview went.

7. Smallpotatoes

Today, I learned that my hours will be cut or eliminated at my driving job. It's not a big surprise. Frankly, I'm amazed I worked a full 40 hours this week.

I'm going to have to look into unemployment.

In addition to the job I interviewed for last week, I have a few other opportunities that I'm exploring. I don't imagine anything will happen until this pandemic is over.

8. Smallpotatoes

I'm down to working 1 day a week now at the driving job.

I filed for unemployment. They said I was eligible but each week, when I've requested payment, they determined I was not eligible.

There's no phone number of email on the site that I can contact to find out why. There is a form where you can leave your information and they'll call you back. I filled it out on Wednesday and I still haven't heard from them.

All I want is an answer to a simple question. Why do they make it so hard just to get that?

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

You might have to go to your local/county unemployment office in-person. Find out where it is, and do so. They are most likely being inundated right now, and you'd do better to do that, anyway.

10. Smallpotatoes

I'm not sure how good an idea that is. I'd probably need an appointment. If I called for an appointment they'd most likely refer me to the form on the website that I filled out last Wednesday.

If I showed up without an appointment they'd probably tell me the same thing. If I refused to leave without an answer, I'm pretty sure that's a good way to get arrested, which wouldn't help me.

I just called the main call center number. The recording referred me to the form on the website.

Is it supposed to be this hard to get an answer to a simple question?

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You realize you’re in the middle of a pandemic, don’t you? You are far from the only one with questions.

12. Smallpotatoes

Sure, but how long should I have to wait for an answer?

Draft saved Draft deleted