1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I lost another friend

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Aug 26, 2019.

1. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

What they said.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

With the hotel job where I was let go after three days and they didn't have the decency to tell me why, there was one bit of information that I need to bring up. It may have had something to do with why I was let go or maybe not.

On my first day, I was supposed to train with the manager for 4 hours, from 2 p.m. to 6. For some reason, he couldn't be there at that time and had to work the overnight shift, so he had a longtime clerk train me.

For a while, everything was going well. He showed me how to check in guests on the computer and I did a couple and they went well. There was one guest where I made a mistake and hit the check-in button before I was supposed to and I could not find the guests' name on the list. I asked the other clerk for some help in fixing this. There was another guest with a similar name and he thought that guest was the same one. I tried to tell him it wasn't but somehow there was still some confusion.

The general manager happened by. She could have shown me how to fix it. Instead, she pushed us out of the way and told us to go in the back room while she fixed the mistake and completed the guests' check out.

Once she was done, she went in the back room with us, told the bar manager to stay there as a witness. She then proceeded to yell at us both. She did not accept any explanations about what happened or why the manager who was supposed to be there was not training me. She also said I was not supposed to be on the computer checking out guests, just observing. She said it was a very serious mistake because the wrong person's credit card was charged $150.00.

While I guess this was directed more at the other clerk than me, I did not appreciate it. It was my first day. People had been known to make mistakes on the first day. Nobody died. It was not the big deal she thought it was. It was fixable and she should a have shown me how to fix it.

I walked off the job. I've never done that before. I texted the regular manager and told him what happened. I got a call from the general manager. She apologized and asked me to come back when the manager was on duty and finish my training. I accepted the apology and did so.

In retrospect I should have never come back.

It was quite a shock. I'm used to people cutting people a little more slack on the first day instead of going apeshit over a first-day mistake.

Does this mean I have an attitude problem?

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

And you just happened to remember this now?

HC likes this.
  4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Why? Do you think walking off the job a few days in could have possibly affected his dismissal?

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Few days? He walked off on Day 1.

And I'm not so sold on that explanation of events.

But it doesn't matter, does it? He's covering soccer games again. Seems like he should be happy(er) instead of editing his hotel story all this time later.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Is this a real person?

7. Smallpotatoes

So what do you think the truth is?

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Did you not think when you first posted about this situation that leaving out a huge part of why you were fired was important?

9. Smallpotatoes

We don't know that because they wouldn't tell me why I was let go.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Ok. Well, you keep wondering why.

11. Smallpotatoes

If it were the reason, why ask me to come back and let me work two more days?

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Happens all the time.

Draft saved Draft deleted