1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I like paragraphs that are more than one sentence long

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sirvaliantbrown, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Frankly, I think this device should be a felony.
    You can split a quote if there's a natural comma ... or even an elipsis.
    You cannot split a quote that does not have a natural break.
    EVER!!!!!

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

With you on that, Two.

It changes the meaning of a quote, which should be the ultimate no-no.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

"She went to the store and bought a package of Depends with her unemployment check."

Now I wonder who she is, why she's unemployed, and why she needs Depends.

Does that make it a spectacular sentence?

4. Tim Sullivan

Tim Sullivan Member

Since you asked:

A fisherman who can't catch a fish in 84 days is strange and unusual. A woman who spends her unemployment check on Depends is, on the face of it, unremarkable.

Man bites dog: News. Dog bites man: Not so much.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Then we agree to disagree. Because there is nothing in that Hemingway sentence that makes me want to read more. I just assume the guy sucks at fishing.

6. Jones

Jones Active Member

That really is one of the fabulous paragraphs.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

What about dog sniffs Bektashian Shriner's hand then starts barking madly?

[​IMG]

And "The Old Man and the Sea" is a terrific read. Even that Joe DiMaggio would think so.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. A paragraph is supposed to convery a complete thought, and like a story, should be as long as it needs to be. It can be one word or five sentences. Hemingway -- even though we're quoting a novel here, and not some of his newspaper work, which could be wordy as hell -- did it well one way. Thomas Friedman, whose leads sometimes take up half a column, does it well another. But from a writer's perspective, you split my grafs, you better have a damn good reason beyond "I thought it was too long.'

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

How about this one: "Readers don't like long paragraphs."

Interesting. I've never heard that one on a survey reply before.

A website editor I wrote for a few times would split up every sentence, presumably to make the story longer. I asked once why he did it, since it broke up some of the context and flavor of paragraphs.

"It's just the way I do things and readers don't like long paragraphs."

I didn't write for him anymore. He's no longer the editor of that site, either.

10. KG

KG Active Member

I personally don't like long paragraphs. And by long, I'm talking about one that takes up half the screen on the computer. After reading a few sentences, it just starts to turn into a big block of letters swimming around.

11. Edna's take on the hungry guy is the best I've ever seen.

If I write one that good, I'm going into another profession the next day.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

VERY interesting. Because I sure have.

This is really pretty clear-cut, has been as long as I've been doing this. The half-page paragraphs of novels look like undecipherable blocks of gray on a newspaper page. Short paragraphs. Generally short sentences. Simplify.

If a writer can't write short paragraphs, he/she will quickly find a copy editor who will make them that way.

I think Andy Beyer is the ultimate in horse-racing journalism, and will use him whenever I can on a major race. But you can be sure the five-paragraph, 27-inch story I get off the wire will look different when it hits the page.

Draft saved Draft deleted