1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I like Mike ... and Mike, too

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shotglass, Feb 7, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I just want to hear Golic call Greenie a bed-wetting mama's boy.

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

The commercials are the worst part of ESPN radio. All the shows are the same....11 minutes of content, 5-minutes of commericals then a 2-minute sports update. That's seven minutes where I automatically turn the channel. You would figure there would be some better way to clear the spots, having shorter breaks with more frequency.

3. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Yeah, commercials and Cowherd. We have Arnie Spaniard here during the evening, and even he's better than Cowherd.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Shotglass, they suck. I heard them for five minutes this morning and they still suck. They seem to spend an inordinate amount of time (considering the segments are about 10 minutes long) discussing minutia - and by minutia, I mean first grade putdowns of each other that would be stupid hearing from a married couple, let alone these guys.

I listen to them for 2 or 3 minutes when Steve Czaban is on commercial. This morning, they played a clip from Old School. Golic started rhapsodizing:

Golic:"Ah, Wedding Crashers. God, that movie is great. One of the all-time funniest movies. What a classic."

Greeney: "Uh, that was Old School."

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's my routine.

Greenberg is still talking about how cold it was in the mornings in Arizona. You'd think he could abandon the man-wuss shtick any day now, but it has been eight years.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I like Mike & Ikes.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Try listening to Mike and the Mad Dog --
    Top of the hour:
    X:00: Sports update (60 seconds)
    X:01: Commercials (4 to 6 mins)
    X:05 or X:07: Sports talk (5 mins to 3 mins, depending on length of previous break)
    X:10: Commercials (2 to 4 mins)
    X:12 or X:14: On-Air spot (30 secs)
    X:12.30 or X:14.30: Sports talk (7.5 mins to 5.5 mins)
    X:20: Update (60 seconds)
    X:21: Commericals
    Lather, rinse, repeat ...

If you get into your car as they go to the 20minute update, there's a good chance you could catch four minutes of sports talk during a 14-minute drive. And, if they break early, say at the 18-minute mark of the hour, you're lucky to hear two minutes of it.

I know the station's got to make money during its most profitable show, but damn, let the guys talk once in a while! There's too many times where the commercials last longer than the on-air content. I think they do about 20 to 25 minutes of ads during a 60-minute span.

8. Sorry, shottie.

[​IMG]

Got a little out of hand.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Heh, this wasn't nearly as bad as I expected, FB. I thought the naked children would be running through the streets by now.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

My biggest issue with all sports-talk radio anymore is the length of the intros and bumpers.
    It has become absurd.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Beats working.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Arnie's classic.

Cow's classless.

Draft saved Draft deleted