1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I like Mike ... and Mike, too

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shotglass, Feb 7, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I haven't watched them in a few months, but I used to have breakfast while watching the simulcast. I dug them. They play well off each other and are genuinely likable. I find that tough to find with radio hosts.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I rarely watch/listen, but when I do, I'm indifferent on Mike and Mike. They can be funny at times, but it is like they are always doing schtick. They certainly have great guests on the show.

Boomer and Carton don't bother me. In small doses, Carton is actually pretty funny. Boomer is not that comfortable doing that type of a show, but I get a kick out of how he taks down to Carton.

3. patchs

patchs Active Member

Give me Tony K, Dan Patrick and Mike Tirico in that order.
    That's my day from 8:15 a.m. to noon and 1 to 3 p.m.
    Now that XM has turned ESPN News into another ESPN Radio channel, I'm starting to like Max Kellerman and Brian Kenny. So that takes care of noon-1 p.m.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Sorry Shottie, but ...

[​IMG]

They totally suck. They suck so much they give me a headache.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

For about 15 minutes, then:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Hard to believe Carton's still on the air after all the crap he's pulled. He got canned from WIP (they let any moron work there, like Jack McCaffery and Howard Eskin) for slandering Eric Lindros. His entire stint at NJ 101.5 consisted of trying to incite race riots.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Mike & Mike? The vanilla whitebread sportstalk radio duo ESPN has longed for? If you're fed up with hard-edged blathering opinions of other talkies, this is the team for you. The only informed opinions you'll hear are from their guests. Golic morphs into a stuttering fool when the subject strays from football, and Greenberg's delivery makes me think of some poor schlep frantically checking his grocery list as he streaks up and down the aisles to snag that last can of hash before the supermarket closes for the night.

And don't ask me what I think of the guy who thought simulcasting talk radio was a good idea.

8. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Hey, if they're so well-liked, maybe they should have a roast for them.

Oh, yeah.......that's right. Bad idea, touchdown jesus.

9. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

I like them because of their guests. They always seem to book relevant guests that bring something informative to the table. I thought, for instance, having the commish on the day of the Super Bowl to discuss the alleged new spygate charge was solid. It seems whenever someone has something important to say on the WWL they'll say it on Mike & Mike. I can't stand their staged routines and songs, but I expect that they'll ask pertinent questions to quality guests.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Ah, here come the flames.

I like them, too. The commercials are annoying and so are the songs, but the actual show is fine. It is heavily focused on the NFL, but so am I, so maybe that is part of why I enjoy it.

11. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I'm actually surprised that CBS put him on the air following the Imus fiasco. But at least he hasn't done anything really douchebaggery up to this point (on the FAN)

I take Mike and Mike in (very) small doses. The day or two after the Super Bowl,they had a discussion of some people who weren't into the game. Greenberg, "I can't wrap my mind around someone who doesn't watch the SB."
    Golic, The guy who actually did something athletic in his life basically said it wasn't a big deal and some people just aren't into sports.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I don't know if I like them or not. I do know that I don't like being up when they're on.

Draft saved Draft deleted