1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I like malaise with my mayonaise

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bubbler, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The topics on the board about the world at large right now are fucking depressing. The threads about our industry made me wish I'd considered that assistant manager job a little more closely at Pizza King back in '96.

It all adds up to a heaping helping of malaise. Are you feeling it?

I sort of do, I mean, I'm realistic about what's going on in the world. But I also realize the world has always gone in good and bad cycles, so I'm not reaching for any panic buttons. What good would it do anyway?

It's just a matter of how bad this cycle is, because some of the historic bad cycles have lasted for quite a long time.

I just hope in my tiny corner of the world I can have the willpower to be part of the solution via sacrifice, doing the greater good, etc., not part of the problem via short-term fixes, rampant consumerism, etc.

I'm not going to lie, it's going to be hard considering that like damn near anyone under the age of 65, I came of age in an era sorely lacking in willpower and restraint.

So are you feeling the malaise?

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Yes, and it's all Jimmy Carter's fault.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Not so much day to day, but every now and then I wonder how I'm going to squeeze another 12 years out of this business. And even then, I bet my company screws me out of the pension I've earned. That, along with how the company stock tanked, has my retirement looking a bit shaky.

But, I have my health and great friends and family. And if (more) layoffs come, I have seniority that is supposed to count for something in our Guild contract.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!

Since when has the Guild been able to do a damn thing about the layoffs?

Draft saved Draft deleted