1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I know some of you watch Anthony Bourdain...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by zeke12, Jan 23, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And I just watched last nights episode on DVR, thanks to his show being on at the same time as Studio 60.

My question: Has anyone, anywhere, ever seen a television host eat something more disgusting that what poor Tony had to nosh in Namibia?

For those who didn't see it: He ate dirt-grilled warthog asshole while visiting with the Bushmen of the Kalahari.

I repeat: Dirt-grilled warthog asshole. Rare.

By the end, he seemed absoultely thrilled to be eating beetles dipped in salt.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah, I saw it. And no, I've never seen anything like that before.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

He is rarely grossed out, and he soldiered through the dirt omlette like a champ, but the asshole really seemed to throw him.

I watched him eat the beating heart of a live cobra on his old show, but apparently warthog anus is absolutely the last straw.

I can't believe those people consume that much dirt.

4. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i didn't see it but i've read all his books and seen his shows. he's a genuinely cool guy, if a little disturbed. i've read blogs and articles about him, too. he seems to be almost disappointed that he's become a mega-celebrity -- although he's not stupid so he's taking advantage of his 15 minutes and stretching it out as long as possible.

basically he's a regular joe who became famous thanks to a book and the recent (in the past 10-15 years) trend toward deifying chefs and is now doing what he loves to do -- eat and cook weird shit, travel around the world and hang out with other cool guys in cool places. 25 years ago he'd be a nobody; the idea of celebrity chefs was as silly as the idea of celebrity plumbers.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I've read his books -- though not his fiction attempt, yet -- and heartily reccomend them.

He's actually a damn good writer, if a little prone to wordiness.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

"Kitchen Confidential is a terrific book" but is pretty much an argument for NOT working in the business, let alone owning a restaurant.

His disdain for fake celebriy chefs like Rachel Ray is something else. I think he said something to the affect that Ms. Ray wouldn't last five minutes in a real kitchen.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

JR -- she wouldn't.

She admits nearly as much. She's a home cook. As numerous celebrity chefs have pointed out, speed and the ability to exactly replicate a dish are the only truly necessary ingredients to a line cook.

Rachel wouldn't hack it. If you watch her show, she's often a disorganized mess, and that's on taped television.

Bourdain also blasted Emeril pretty hard in that book, though he's come off that since. Whatever you think of Emeril's current persona, the man can cook.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

First book's fantastic.

Stylistically . . . man repeats himself -- A LOT -- but like it, regardless.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

How funny is it that there are two threads on the front page -- one about eating live asshole, and one about eating the dead stuff.

Strangely, I have been involved with both.

Hmmmmmmmm...

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Many moons ago, after university, I worked ia hotel restaurant kitchen in Switzerland for several months.

It was controlled chaos with the chef yelling at the sous-chefs, the sous-chefs yelling at the line cooks and the waiters and busboys yelling at everyone (well, not the chef).

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Cheebooga, Cheebooga, Cheebooga

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

No fries, chips!

No Coke, Pepsi!

Draft saved Draft deleted