1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I know Peter King is an easy target ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Mar 2, 2015.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

But man does he make it easy sometime.

Today's MMQB subhed touts the "first-ever look at potential new stadium in STL" and in the story it says "This is the first time anyone outside the league or the committee charged with keeping the Rams in St. Louis has seen the renderings of the proposed $1 billion, 64,000-seat open-air riverfront football stadium on the banks of the Mississippi River."

Except, of course, if you saw several renderings when the St. Louis people released it at a big press conference in mid-January.

Here's the gallery in the Post-Dispatch from then ...

Gallery: Proposed St. Louis NFL stadium renderings : News

What a dick.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I once got an angry e-mail from a high school athlete's parent. Worst e-mail of my life. I so feel for the King family.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That wasn't a story, but it was a Q&A. I would have liked to have seen King make that into a narrative though.

King is a league "insider," which is: He polishes the aura, asks hard questions a step too late on purpose, and generally wants to present the game for the glorious, gladiatorial thing most fans like to see it as while they eat their Sunday wings. His presence requires other people to be the assholes who take on the league, because he won't do it, and because he won't, only assholes can, because the NFL expects objectivity to look more or less like King's objectivity looks.

5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Who are "the assholes who take on the league" Do they exist anymore?

6. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

There are times when PK does have some great articles, but those are few and far between anymore. He is now more or less a caricature of himself.

7. Boom_70

I would not label then "assholes" but Don Van Natta and Kevin Van Valkenberg did a nice job of not following
    the party line on Ray Rice story.

EddieM likes this.
  8. Boom_70

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I read the MMQB almost every week just because it covers a lot of stuff and I know he'll link to some others' work that I haven't seen. But I realize the depth of his criticism will usually not go much farther than "Gotta make that tackle, Rey Malaluga" in his mishmash at the bottom.

10. Boom_70

Peter or parody?

Aggravating/Enjoyable Travel Note of the Week
    I took the redeye from L.A. to Atlanta last Monday night, then connected Tuesday morning to Newark.

Aisle seat in coach on a jumbo jet from LAX to Atlanta. Two seats on either side, with three seats in the middle row. I'm on the left of one of those three-seaters. Boyfriend and girlfriend, I assume, next to me in the other two seats. They put a blanket over their head upon takeoff. There is movement under the blanket. I'm creeped out. I try to fall asleep. Every 10 minutes or so a leg or arm jolts me slightly. Are they stretching to sleep, somehow? Are they doing something else? No one knows. After an hour or so they fall asleep. Blanket stays over their heads until we're cleared for landing. Then they sit up and get un-disheveled.

Don't ask me what was going on under there. I don't want to know. You don't either.

11. JackReacher

Were they 20-ish? Quasi-30-ish? Age makes a difference with ol Petey.

12. JackReacher

Draft saved Draft deleted