1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I know: It's definitely not price gouging (insult away, BTW)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Jul 27, 2006.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Says you! When you add up "market" increases in everything -- electricity, food, gas, water, cable/Internet, insurance -- and couple that with pay increases that don't keep up with the rising cost of living (so much for that "booming" economy), you're looking at a damn big impact on your pocketbook.
    Gas prices aren't the only reason to complain, and if you think I limit my complaints to that, think again. But it's still a problem and one I am powerless to fix.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

No, I'm arguing that they made 43.33 percent MORE pure profit this quarter this year than last.

Yes, the price per barrel is as high as ever....

But that is worked into the profit equation.

And, still, it says $1.72 per share.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It can be, but it doesn't have to be.

Twenty years ago, I was making $71 a day (spread over 365 days) and spent 3.2% of my income on gasoline.

Today I'm making $187 a day and am spending about 4.2% of my income on gasoline. And it would be an even smaller percentage if I decided to drive a more fuel-efficient car.

As long as your wages are going up and you have the ability to drive a fuel-efficient car, the oil situation shouldn't be anything more than just a pain in the butt.

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

$829 a year on gas back in 1986.

You walk to work?

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Again, I say gas prices are just one part of the equation. But if we can't fix gas prices, there's little hope for fixing the other money-robbing parts of society.

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

BT, while that may be the case, you are only viewing the direct impact imposed by the rise in gas prices. You left out the increased price of milk and other groceries. You have left off the increase in the price of airline flights.

So, sure, your dollar per day increased 100% while your direct fuel consumption went up 1%. What about the other expenses.

Additionally, you are looking at this over a 20-year timespan. Not everyone has been working over that period of time. If you look at the last five years, you will see that individuals that entered the workforce have not had that 100:1 ratio you have over the extended period.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

It's like an economic boa constrictor.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Gasoline dropped below $1 a gallon in South Florida in 1986. Probably averaged a little over $1 over the course of the year.

Heck, it was only $1.59 a gallon 15 years later. That's what it was on 9/11. For some reason I'll always remember that.

You're right. Like most things, it's relative.

But that doesn't necessarily mean things are out of whack now. Just out of whack COMPARED to 5 years ago when gas was historically (adjusted for inflation) very very cheap.

Look at interest rates. People are chewing their nails now at mortgage rates that are nearing 7%.

7% is CHEAP AS HELL when compared with the period 1974-2006.

It just doesn't seem cheap when compared with the period 2003-2006.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

And it ain't cheap when you are under an adjustable-rate mortgage in a massively contracting housing market.

There are gonna be suicides in SoFla within a year or two... in somewhat noticeable numbers, I think.

10. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Gas averaged $0.93 per gallon in 1986 nationally; $829 would buy approximately 891 gallons of gas. In a car getting 20 miles per gallon that much gas would get you nearly 17,000 miles.

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

It was 93 cents a gallon 20 yeasrs ago.

Fucking dust me off, someone. Anyone.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

The economy is all relative, based on 20-year time spans? Oh thank God. That means I can shortchange my mortgage payment and tell them it's because of percentage changes over the last 20 years.

I know things change over time, but what things were like 5 years ago makes little impact on me now. Five years ago I was just getting married for the second time, had just starting paying on a new car, I had no son and no mortgage, and I still worked in newspapers.

And right now, gas prices are too f-ing high. Debate all that other crap if you want, but the prices are still too high.

And where the hell is my $10 I asked for several pages ago?

Draft saved Draft deleted