1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I know: It's definitely not price gouging (insult away, BTW)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Jul 27, 2006.

1. What is Exxon's profit margin?

If it was 10 percent before the price of oil started going through the roof and it's the same today, then I don't see what the problem is.

If the profit margin is a lot higher, then the red flags can be raised.

They might be making a lot more money, but they also might be spending a lot more money to make it.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Oil is like medicine and drinking water after a natural disaster.

They have ZERO elasticity of demand.

Cabbage Patch dolls? Puhhlease.

I'm guessing that you have no problem with someone selling a gallon of Zephyrhills for $20 in New Orleans after Katrina? Oooohhhhh, the demand is there!

Chrissakes.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

The profit margin is leaps and bounds higher.

4. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

Um, there is a minor difference, though. One was after a natural disaster. The other is because we are a country obsessed with our gas consumption.

5. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

What is it, then?

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I put forth that both are natural disasters.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Well, we have a slight, incremental increase in cars on the road. About the same amount of gas is being sold here over same time last year.

Yet pure profit went from $1.20 a share in Q2/2005 to $1.72 a share in Q2/2006.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

What floors me about gas prices is how quick they jump, then never seem to drop.

On Valentine's Day, I began a cross-country trip. Bought gas just west of St. Louis for $1.98 a gallon and somewhere near Terre Haute for $2 a gallon. Now it's $2.99 right down the street from here.

But of course, it's not price gouging.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Oil is like drinking water after a natural disaster?

Oil might have low elasticity of demand, but that doesn't change the fact that supply is severely constrained. Putting a price control on it won't create more oil. It's a demand and supply story, not just a demand story. What your articifical pricing will do is bring the oil price in China down slightly--they might even thank us before laughing at us--where they'll still be willing to pay more than the artificial price you've slapped on it. As I said, you'll have cheap gas. There just won't be enough of it.

I'd love to hear the hysteria when someone like you gets his way and we have gas lines and rationing.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

What exactly about the worldwide oil situation gives you any reason to think gas prices should be dropping? Supply is being choked and demand is skyrocketing. Think about it rationally. Not enough of the commodity and more people want it. When that happens, prices increase, they don't decrease. It isn't gouging. There isn't some fat guy in a $10,000 suit making up prices. It's what the overall market is willing to pay for a barrel of oil that determines the price.

11. Economics 101 might be over some people's heads, Ragu.

Maybe if more oil were on the market (say, from ANWR or from drilling off the coast of Florida), the price would come back down, too. But if people don't want to add to the supply, the only other way to lower the price would be to lower the demand.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Someone like me... LOL... you made the goddamned Cabbage Patch reference.

Zero elasticity: if they lift prices, the same number buys it.

If they lower prices: the same number buys it.

I know you understand that.

Draft saved Draft deleted