1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I know: It's definitely not price gouging (insult away, BTW)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a/exxon-mobil-beats-expectations-profit/20060727081109990035?_ccc=5&cid=842

IRVING, Texas (July 27) - Exxon Mobil Corp. said Thursday it earned $10.36 billion in the second quarter, the second largest quarterly profit ever recorded by a publicly traded U.S. company.

The earnings figure was 36 percent above the profit it reported a year ago. High oil prices helped boost its revenue by 12 percent to a level just short of a quarterly record.

Exxon Mobil's report comes a day after another large U.S. oil company, ConocoPhillips, said it earned more than $5 billion in the quarter and at a time when many drivers in the U.S. are paying $3 for a gallon of gas - increasing the likelihood of further political backlash in Washington.

Exxon Mobil, the world's largest oil company by market capitalization, said earnings amounted to $1.72 per share in the April-June quarter compared with a profit of $7.64 billion, or $1.20 per share, a year ago.

The results topped Wall Street expectations but came in behind Exxon Mobil's record profit of $10.71 billion set in the fourth quarter of 2005.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

This will not end well.....

Unless Exxon Mobil drops their prices by 36 percent.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Right.

That would merely get them to last year's still-immense profit levels.

4. Overrated

Overrated Guest

In all seriousness, someone needs to die.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You all don't know dick about finances.

Those companies need to be making those kind of profits. Ever priced yachts, vacation villas and private jets? Those things don't come cheap.

Lay off.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That knocks a 3.00 pg price down to 1.92.

That's still not low enough.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

True, but in a 12-gallon car, we're talking about a savings of nearly $13. And that buys me almost another tank of gas. Or, y'know, food for my 3-year-old son.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Good point. It'd save me almost $20 per fill up.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I think HejiraHenry may be the only one on this board right now who honestly believes the free marketplace is at work here, without any Enron-like gaming of the system.

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Most Exxon stations near me are 15-20 cents higher per gallon than the stations near them.
    There are no Mobil stations near me, they've all been converted to Lukoil stations.
    However Hess (and sometimes BP) seem to have the cheapest brand-name gas near me.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What the hell are you talking about? What kind of influence -- say with the government -- does oil companies have? It's all hard work and perseverance and the capitalist system shaking out.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That's weird. Maybe down here there is more competition, but I've found Exxon at a lot of places locally to be the lowest price (and Chevron highest).

Draft saved Draft deleted