1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I know how ER ends!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Freelance Hack, Apr 2, 2009.

1. KG

KG Active Member

I liked the explosion ending, because it showed that the story continues. It's like when you finish a really good book. The book had it's own ending, but in your mind you can play the story out longer,as in how the rest of the characters' lives will play out.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

yup. there could be no "neatly wrapped" ending for "er." best that it came to a close of its run with a "the life at a hopital goes on and on and on and ..."

although i realize it leaves folks who need closure to EVERYTHING quite unfulfilled.

3. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I found the episode of Carter reading to the dying old man...
    So powerful...

http://www.fanpop.com/spots/er/videos/4534780

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I thought the last show struck the right note.

Disappointed and a little surprised that Dr. Doug Ross didn't turn up.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So Carter, with the center opening, is going to keep pulling shifts at County?

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Love's Labor Lost just started on TNT.

7. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

That one was on TNT yesterday morning, I forgot what a great episode that was.

8. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Am I the only one who thought it sucked almost from start to finish?

I never liked Archie in a position of power, I didn't think his character was fleshed out enough for him to become a leader.

Carter annoyed the crap out of me over the past couple of years, and his whole relationship with Kem seemed shaky with no chemistry. I guess they broke up since Carter stayed at County.

Neela had a great ending when they reunited her with Ray a few weeks ago, I didn't think she added anything to the finale.

The Benton and Corday scenes were a little weird, though I can see the point where they wanted to put the past behind them. I did love seeing Reese though. Carrie didn't fit in with the lovey-dovey crowd, but did she ever?

I did like how they mirrored the pilot (sans a nurse trying to off herself), and bringing Rachel back was a real highlight. The last line of the show gave me chills but I was expecting much, much better.

9. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

I too enjoiyed the entire 3-hour block.

But seeing favorite shows like this one (I watched from Day 1) conclude always makes me feel the same way -- sad. For me, it's akin to the emotions I have when I see a picture of a former athlete 25 years after his career has ended. I want to remember them as they were. The inevitably of age reminds me of my own mortality, and that is the opposite of what I want from prime time viewing. I want pure escapism, not a reality injection.

MY wife and I have watched each of these shows together for a decade and a half. At the start of the show we were young and (at least in our own minds) better looking. But now, we've got 15 years of life experiences showing on our faces and bodies and are closer to the end of our careers than the start.

That's why I get sad when my favorite shows end. It forces me to ponder my own demise and I don't like going there.

That all being said, I'm sure I'll find a new show to replace it. But I still mourn the loss of my (fictional) friends from ER. And I don't like to think about how old I am now compared to when the show first hit the air.

10. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Watched the retrospective tonight -- really enjoyed it. So many great actors have had guest arcs that you forget them. I'd forgotten Don Cheadle had an arc a few years back, and of course, was outstanding.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've mentioned it earlier, but check out the imdb of ER and you have about half the leads from prime time shows. Between ER and Law and Order, these shows should receive Lifetime Achievement Awards from the Screen Actors Guild for helping boost careers.

Draft saved Draft deleted