1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I know how ER ends!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Freelance Hack, Apr 2, 2009.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Have they ever shown the wide shot of the ER entrance before last night?

2. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Bagelchick, Luka's swan song came when Abby left the ER earlier this season - he was outside, waiting to pick her up. Abby was on a couple weeks ago when Neela left to go to Louisiana - she was on the phone with Neela, who was boarding a plane, and was babysitting. The line she used was vintage Abby:

"I'm doing this kid-swap thing and Thursday is my day. (Pause.) I hate Thursdays."

3. NDub

NDub Guest

OK, I want to make sure I got this right...

The pilot episode 15 years ago... injured patients came to County because of an industrial explosion. Dr. Greene was standing outside and asked a young Carter, distressed from his first big day of work (that shot of him sitting with the stethescope on his forehead and the big sigh, right?), "Hey Carter... are you working?"

And last night, it was a similar ending. Carter says he gets deja vu. Then Morris asks Carter if he was working as industrial accident patients rolled in. Carter says yes and then asks Dr. Greene's daughter if she's going to help, which she does with a smile. Show ends.

I haven't watched in about three years. But it is sad to see this show go. It had a lot of great TV moments and was one of my favorites for a long time.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Been a big year for series finales, The Shield, The Sopranos, The Wire, The ER, and even some shows I enjoyed that just got whacked. Don't know if now is the time to just resist getting involved with TV shows for a while or what.

5. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

You forgot Fox's "Hole in the Wall". Aw crap!
    www.foxtv.com/holeinthewall/

6. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

I thought the finale was average. I would have liked to have seen more talk between the old characters, maybe reminiscing about Greene with Rachel. Also would have loved to see Rachel's interview with Banfield. I didn't see any spoilers out there about Rachel being in the final episode, so that was a pretty well-kept secret, and I thought her presence totally made the episode work. That scene near the end where Carter shows her how to do an IV, the dialogue is word for word what Benton told Carter in the pilot episode. But again, it would have been great for him to tell her how much her dad meant to him and to that place.

The one thing you missed from Carter was him delivering the "helping people is more important than how we feel" speech that Greene gave him in the pilot. But of course, Carter already did that -- to Gallant in about season 8 or 9.

Great show with incredibly well-developed characters that I'm going to miss tremendously.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Great writing is leaving out what doesn't need to be said. Which, judging from what I've read about people's reactions to the finale, John Wells did with gusto.

8. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Hacker...I was actually waiting for someone to say "you set the tone" since that's what Morgenstern said to Greene, Greene said to Carter, Carter said to Morris. But I guess that doesn't make a ton of sense since it's not like the ER was being "turned over" to a new person in charge....

Also, I had read somewhere that Rachel would be in the episode, so it was out there!

Cougargirl...thanks for the reminder about the Abby/Neela convo. I had forgotten about that, probably because it was so darn quick of a scene!

One other thought...loved the scene with Benton and Reese!

9. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

I can't remember the last time that I watched a network other than NBC at 10:00 on Thursday.

Before ER, it was LA Law, Hill Street Blues, etc. One great show after another. I hope Southland is good.

I haven't been as dilligent watching ER the last couple of years as I was in the beginning but it was still a quality show.

The episode where Carter and the intern were stabbed was chilling.

The Hawaii episode where Dr. Greene dies was as good as it gets. . . I stop and watch it anytime I see it on.

When Rachel appeared on-screen in the finale, I immediately knew it was her. A little tear came to my eye because I remembered that episode with Dr. Greene saying he had to "fix Rachel". It was nice that the producers thought enough to include her. It also makes me feel good that the next generation at County will include her.

I don't mind that some of the storylines were incomplete and I liked the ending. . . just another day. . . just another crisis.

I was happy with the finale.

10. Cubman71

Cubman71 Guest

I enjoyed the finale, just as I enjoyed catching up with everyone in the final season. I stopped watching religously when Green died several seasons ago, but sort of kept up with folks and watched a show here or there. (didn't miss Carter's "last" show, Luka's, etc)

I figured I'd be in for a treat last night when I settled in. The opening shot of the show last night (Nurse Lydia waking up Archie in the lounge) was the exact same thing she did to Green in the pilot 15 years ago.

Loved the full circle angle with Rachel/Carter and really didn't expect it to end any other way...the staff at an ER getting ready to do their jobs during a crisis. That was always the center of the show. The only thing missing for me was maybe Carter telling Rachel "You set the tone" or seeing Alexis Bleidel crouched down on the outside bench hurling a la Carter and Archie on their first days, but maybe that would hae been too predictable.

I'm always nostalgic for shows like this, and I sure wasn't disappointed. I will miss it, for sure.

11. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I just spend 84 minutes crying my ass off.
    I was 10 when that show debuted, and I didn't miss an episode from 1994 to 2001, watching every week with my mom, who was going through a lot of health issues with my sister. In a lot of ways, the show was catharsis.
    I watched pretty much through Benton's run and gave it up, because of Thursday night football practices and dinners. I figured at that point, I had a good run with the cast.
    The finale last night, to me, was perfect. I loved the symmetry with Carter and Rachel Greene, Ernest Borgnine was remarkable, and it all reminded me of my favorite episodes.
    ...Love's Labour Lost
    ...when Carter reads to the dying old man
    ...when Clooney rescues the kid from the storm drain
    ...when Greene handles an entire ER on his own

I'll miss it.

12. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

It didn't have much to do with the finale, I suppose, but I've noticed over the past few months that they've tried to inject a little more humor into the shows. For a few years, it's just been one bummer after the next (Gallant dying, Pratt dying, etc.) but there's been the slightest lighter touch this season, and I've appreciated it.

And yes, I've watched pretty much every episode over the years, although I'm sure I've missed a few.

Draft saved Draft deleted