1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I know absolutely nothing about New Jersey

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Hey 3BF

I went to high school in TR. If you like pizza you definitely have to check out the Saw Mill on the boardwalk in Seaside. Enjoy your stay.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Sweet. Thanks, guys.

I'm trying to find one of those "I did it all for the Snooki" shirts to wear onto the boardwalk. Guess I need to check the "best towns for an asswhipping" thread first, though.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

In decent weather, Monmouth is typically a good idea. Regrettably, they only run on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays and holidays this season, so an early-week visit is inoperative if you want live racing . . .

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The character/demo of Asbury Park has changed in the last decade or so . . . it remains interesting as an historical site, but it's not the same town as it was during Bruce's developmental years . . .

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'll ALWAYS recommend Cape May. It trends older, but it remains a spectacular Jersey landmark, with a great beach. Google for more.
    Recommend the Peter Shields Inn for dinner.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The Amish Outlaws are one of the consistent rotating attractions at one spot I hang out at -- which ISN'T in Jersey. Good show.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Strange, but true. I got yelled at by a gas station attendant once because I got out of my car and pumped my own gas.

On the bright side, gas is usually a little cheaper.

Long Branch has a pretty nice beach as well.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

You have to pay to use most public beaches. If you're into horse racing, Monmouth Park is running. Make a U-turn if you're driving and you see a "Welcome to Camden" sign.

9. mjp1542

mjp1542 Member

It's been a good half-dozen years since I've gone to Bar-A, but unless things have changed greatly, it's not much of a place for anyone past their early-to-mid 20s. But, again, things may have changed.

Definitely check out Seaside to get a true taste of the Shore. I'm more familiar with the more southern beaches, so I can't really assist you much. But just know that if you're going anywhere, it's going to take longer than you think. Shore-area traffic can be awful all summer, although significantly worse on the weekends.

Like was mentioned before, you're really only about an hour drive to Atlantic City. Neat place to see, and the beaches there are free at least, although not as pretty as others.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

A good conversation-starter is to ask locals what exit they're from.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Camden is lovely this time of year.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Lakehurst is on the peripheral of our coverage (McGuire, Fort Dix, Lakehurst). If you want a top-shelf dinner, Marsilio's in Ewing is a short drive away.

Draft saved Draft deleted