1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I knew it! I knew it! Obama's in labor's pocket! ... Oops!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mpcincal, Feb 17, 2012.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Interestingly, I got the link to this from Paul Lukas Uniwatch blog.

Politico reporter reports on President Obama speaking at an engagement in the Badger State, and writes the prez has shown himself to side with labor unions because he spoke while underneath a union flag of "local union, Wisconsin 1848."

By sheer coincidence "Wisconsin" is the name of the state they are in, and "1848" is the year Wisconsin gained statehood.

Um, Mr. Reporter ... IT'S THE STATE FLAG OF WISCONSIN, YOU MORON!

http://gawker.com/5885630/politico-mistakes-state-flag-for-union-flag-idiocy-ensues

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I think this is more telling about the decline of the American education system. A lot of this is hyperpartisanship in the US, but seriously, this sounds like something you should learn in school (or at least Sporcle)

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Then clearly Wisconsin is communist.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Ms. Slack is a veteran of the Boston Globe and went to Northwestern. I don't know if that makes it better or worse.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I thought all along the Wisconsin flag had a sexy deer on it.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

"Sexy deer" is redundant in Wisconsin.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Chickenshit Scotty Boy stayed home and hid under the bed, probably taking a phone call from his butt buddies the Koch Brothers.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

This is a perfect thread for the Politics board.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Or, the goveror actually greeted Obama at the airport but since he was sick cut his day short. As usual, never let the facts infiltrate your alternate reality.

10. JPsT

JPsT Member

Maybe I'm late to the party here, but I was pretty surprised to pull up Donovan's picture and find a woman.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

She was a well-respected DC reporter for the Boston (Herald? Globe? I can't remember) paper...fact of the matter is she's just reflecting Politico's obvious pro-Republican bent. I tries to present itself as a neutral observer, much like CNBC does, but the political leanings of both are very obvious.

12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Yeah, I obviously made a mistake their in my first post. I saw the name Donovan and assumed it was a guy, and of course assuming anything is a dangerous thing in our business.

Kind of like assuming any flag with a name and three or four numbers is one for a labor union.

Draft saved Draft deleted