1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I kissed Elmo and I liked it

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dooley_womack1, Sep 23, 2010.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I saw the video on youtube last night before I knew about the controversy surrounding it (my one-year-old loves the celebrity music covers, and they also annoy my music-snob wife, so it's a double-win).

While watching it, I remarked that the cleavage seemed to be a bit much for a kid show. Then my wife pointed out that a kid probably wouldn't even notice or care, and that I was seeing it through adult eyes. She was probably right.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Totally absurd. High school girls walk down the street every day more scantily clad than that.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

When I heard that she would be on, I said to my wife that this is the first time that we'll see Katy Perry wear an entire shirt. But I was wrong. For me, it's a little too revealing for a kids show.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Why didn't somebody say something to her before it was filmed? It's a completely inappropriate outfit for that show.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

She isn't. Kids that age definitely notice. They may think it is funny rather than sexual, but they notice.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Katy Perry seems incredibly likable and I'm guessing she would not have been the least bit offended if someone told her to cover up a bit.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Perhaps. Part of the problem with having her on a kids show is that the little ones may get to really like her song, but then they want to hear more and end up listeng to the racier versions. They may not understand it all, but do we really want them running around singing some of this stuff?

The same issue has come up with those Kidz Bop CD's. For those that don't know, they take current popular songs, clean them up if necessary and have kids sing them. My 7-year-old likes them. Unfortunately, she also got to like some songs that have profanity in the regular versions.

For example, Boom, Boom, Pow by Black-Eyed Peas was on one of these CDs. So, having never really listened to the uncensored version of the song, my wife downloaded it from iTunes. About 10 seconds into playing it in front of our daughter, we start hearing them say "shit" repeatedly. Oops.

9. Mizzougrad96

My kids do the same things with the Chipmunk songs.

10. The Chipmunks taught your kids to say shit?

11. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, that goddamned Theodore taught my kids to swear. :D

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I bet she gave Elmo herpes.

Draft saved Draft deleted