1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Just Watched "The Happening" And...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KevinmH9, Oct 9, 2008.

1. I totally don't get how you could like The Village and not like Signs or Unbreakable. Oh well. Takes all kinds.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Same here.

I loathe him.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Too bad it wasn't NC-17. Then no one would have seen it and been scarred by its awfulness.

4. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

You should have rented it from Redbox. Only $1.

5. I thought the Village was a great spin... a neat trick... like the Sixth Sense. I never saw that coming - the group living in a village in a nature preserve ... It was neat.
    Signs. .. Oh man did that piss me off. The wife is cut in half in a car wreck hanign on just to tell Mel Gibson to tell his son to swing away? WTF!

Unbreakable really could have, should have been better. It was slow. Painfully slow. Great concept... One that I saw coming. I knew SLJ was a bad guy. But It was just so slow to develop. Like watching paint dry or a Sean Penn (directed) movie.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'The Happening' was not good, and the premise was ridiculous, but a few of the scenes were interesting.
    I thought the scene where they drive into the town and all of the bodies were hanging - that was pretty arresting and interesting.
    I actually thought about that scene last week when we were watching 'Nosferatu,' when Ellen looks out the window and sees all the coffins being carried down the street.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Sixth Sense = A. Unbreakable = A- Signs = B

All the rest = F.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

From the other side of the aisle, Mizzou:

Sixth Sense = B- (saw it second week it was out, with others talking about a "twist." Didn't know what the twist was, but guessed it with 45 minutes left in the movie.

Signs = C.

Unbreakable = C-.

The Village = F.

Everything since = Incompletes, because I refuse to see them. Going to take a killer review, from multiple sources, to get me back to one of M.Night's productions.

9. Then I guess the main difference for us is that Unbreakable and Signs both surprised me (didn't see Unbreakable's twist coming at all and I actually liked how Signs wrapped up and, being a man of faith, loved how he turned the concept of 'signs' into evidence of God).
    The Village I figured out literally on the first shot of the film, because the only time reference was on the gravestone. Knowing his M.O., I figured it was present day and everything else just fell into its obvious place from there.
    No surprise was no fun.

10. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

The Happening was alright until the last 20 minutes. All the blood and murder was cool, then "the twist" sucked more than a whore in a military town on the first and fifteenth combined.

11. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I've never seen a theater turn against a movie like the group I was with did against "The Village." Forgive me for not remembering the exact details of the plot - I only watched it once, for good reason - but when the girl ran off into the woods to find the medicine and was being chased by the creature, the entire theater just began bursting into laughter and yelling insults about how poor the movie was.

When the girl got mauled by the creature, or fell into some hole (again, don't remember) somewhere near the end, my buddy jumped to his feet, yelled "OH YES!" and started pumping his first. He thought we were going to finally see some carnage. Didn't happen of course, but that's how poorly misled we were with that movie. That's why I've given up.

12. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I hate wasting money on a movie, so I started drinkn heavily very early into The Happening. It didn't help.
    And like I'm going to believe Marky Mark as a teacher. That's almost as bad as casting Denise Richardson as a rocket scientist.

Draft saved Draft deleted