1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I just watched one of the most chilling documentaries ever

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Red Dawn, IIRC, did reference the use of nukes. Select cities like Kansas City and Omaha were targeted because they were communications centers. The more I've read up on military strategy and history, the more plausible the framework of Red Dawn actually becomes. I'm sure whatever invasion plan the Soviets had for the U.S. was probably pretty close to that. Same way if we ever invaded we'd have used allies in Germany or Japan.

I was 7 when The Day After came out. I remember being sent to bed at 7 p.m. -- it was still light out for chrisssakes! -- because my parents thought it'd be too scary. Yet they let me watch Friday the 13th movies at the same age. Go figure.
    Finally saw it five or six years ago on AMC. At that point it wasn't scary, but rather interesting. I thought some of the aftermath stuff was pretty accurate (not everyone would die; life would be chaos; people wondering how they're going to scrape six inches of topsoil off their farmland, etc).

Oh, and Fail Safe is a fucking phenomenal movie. The ending might be a little implausible, but the setup and the tension throughout are both top-notch.

2. Strangest thing about Fail Safe?
    The Kissinger character is played by Walter Matthau.
    Second?
    Dom DeLuise is in it.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

A quick check on imdb reveals that Boss Hogg was also in it. I've seen that movie five or six times and have no idea who his character was (a congressman Raskob?)

4. As
    As the movie opens, Congressman Raskob and a guy from a defense firm are touring SAC HQ. They get caught there when it hits the fan. Raskob is a congresman from NYC, so the eventual resolution hits him hard. Also starring Larry Hagman as President Fonda's translator.

5. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Just call me "Kitten Killer." :D

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Thanks. As many times as I've seen it, it's been a while since the last viewing.

Draft saved Draft deleted