1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I just watched one of the most chilling documentaries ever

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i think that's a hindsight is 20/20 type of approach to the eruption. nobody -- or very few -- in the area, including those who lost family, blame the seismologists for the loss of life. folks who were in the zone knew they were risking their lives by being there.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

You just became my best friend.
    Or at least a nice reminder of my misspent youth.

You probably drive a bitchin' Camaro, too. With no insurance to match.

3. rascalface

rascalface Member

I was but a young'n in 1983, but I remember the school sending a note home with my older brother advising parents that the film (The Day After) was too intense for children. I was terrified of nuclear war as a kid, that crap consistently gave me nightmares when I got a little older.

I didn't even watch The Day After until about 10 years ago when I was in college, and I only watched it once. It freaked me out ... the scene in Allen Fieldhouse filled with refugees/victims, the girl deathly ill with radiation poisoning, talking about how the phone lines should be restored in a few days. Jason Robards returning to KC, knowing his fate. Man, I can only imagine the impact that movie had on people in 1983.

The threat of nuclear annihilation was real, and it permeated the psyche of many, many people. I'm reminded of the scene in Terminator 2, when the nuke is detonated, with the girl on the swing in the park and everything being vaporized. While T2 is far from the greatest film ever made, that is a powerful scene and image.

4. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Yes I do!

If I happen to run you down, please don't leave a scratch.

I love that car. I was so happy when my parents drove up here from the Bahamas.

Now go eat your paisley!

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking. I stayed in Moses Lake on my trip, and it's a far fucking piece from the mountain.

6. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Thanks for this Bubbs. I will be looking to catch this. I enjoyed the long post.

You mention secret agents. Did these guys factor in to the story?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

One big-ass EMP would do far more damage to this country than, say, two dozen 20-kiloton hits on major cities.

With EMP, the electrical grid is fried, computers (and their data) are zapped, car and truck ignition systems are ruined, water pumps grind to a halt, and commerce in this country ceases to exist. Hundreds of thousands would die in the surface blasts, but with an EMP, tens of millions would die of starvation, disease and exposure. Cities would run out of food in days and crops would rot in the fields because there'd be no way to harvest them.

8. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

The Amish would suddenly become veeeeeeeeeeery popular.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I've been watching too much Jericho.

By the way ... season premiere Feb. 12!

10. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

A quick glance of Discovery.com doesn't show any repeat airings from now through 1/20. :mad: :'(

11. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Now, Mr. President, I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed....

12. Flash

Flash Guest

Consider yourself lucky. Our school made us watch it ... I was in Grade 7. Scared the living shit out of me. Didn't sleep for days.

Draft saved Draft deleted