1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I just rode the subway with Neil Young

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Was this (Reggie) at the trade show "The Super Show"?

2. cortez

cortez Member

That in itself is impressive in this day and age; somebody who's not strictly partisan

3. patchs

patchs Active Member

You're welcome.
    And calling Rodney Culver famous? With all due respect to the man's memory, how many NFL fans remember him?

4. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

At the risk of outing myself, I will tell one of my favorite stories that involves Neil Young.

A few years ago, I am in Chicago for an event and I go out to dinner at a nice steakhouse with several friends. One is in his mid-30's, another around 50 and the third is pushing 60.

The meal is going great and midway through, "Bob" across from me (the 30ish guy) starts motioning at a guy sitting in a booth on the other side of a divider. I look over and wasn't quite certain what I was supposed to be looking for so Bob writes on the paper tablecloth "Neil Young" with a big ass arrow pointing to the guy on his side of the booth.

With more information, I glance over and realize that he is right.

The other two guys at the table now realize that something is up and Chuck (60ish) sees what is written on the table and starts being pushy, urging Bob to say hello. Bob, of course, wants to respect Neil's privacy and refuses.

Fast forward to the end of dinner and just as we are getting up to leave, Chuck says rather loudly, "Neil. Neil Young?" to which Mr. Young politely responded, "Yes."

No Chuck goes into it. "Mr. Young, my friend Bob here is a big fan of yours but he was afraid to say hello." Neil then said something politely back and Bob made a comment or two and then we left.

As we are walking out the door, Chuck turns to me and says, "Just_An_SID, you gotta help me out. Who the #%$& is Neil Young?

Needless to say, the walk back to the hotel involved singing several of Neil's greatest hits.

5. Yo
    You need to come to Athens where you can drink beer with the B-52's during happy hour, hang out with the boys from Widespread Panic, or run into Michael Stipe walking around town.

Of course, none of them are Neil Young on a subway! And since you said subway as opposed to T, Metro, Bart, L, etc I an assuming NY? So which line were you on?

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Ragu... get a car alarm that beeps. You get broken into because they do not hear you set your car alarm. They know you do not have one. That is why the break ins.

Famous run ins that were not writing related...

I parked cars at a country club in college for three years. Here are some of my better ones.

Barry Goldwater - Get your self a beer, son.

Stevie Nicks - Not that great in 1990

Jay Leno - Looks really weird in person

Sandra Day O'Connor - Never recognized the first time her until bag tag flipped over. I almost spilled the soda I was drinking.

Glenn Campbell - 100 dollar tipper when he was drinking

Anne Archer - drove a station wagon!!!

Jackie Stewart - nice man

Mario Andretti - freaking stiff, no tip

I worked at a summer camp as a basketball director for a time and I had to drive Clyde Frazier from the Wimbledon in Manhatten up to camp. Awesome. Just freaking awesome. We talked about everything but basketball for the three hour drives.

I was in a foursome once in front of Tom Weiskopf, and we played well enough that his group did not have to wait or play through.

I'll share a Clyde story or two if anyone wants to hear them. They are all good and do not make fun of him.

7. From my wayy younger days...

Terry Bradshaw gave me a jumpstart outside of RFK after a 'skins game once and Dinah Shore gave me aspirin from her bag when I was caddying in the Westchester Classic Pro-Am wayyy back when (got to meet Tom Carvel the same day, so Karma was good).

But hands down the best was meeting Leslie Nielsen at the Quad Cities Open. Not only was he funny as heck in person, but was a real nice guy.

Update: Ohhh, I forgot meeting the Sonic commercial couple in Kansas City this summer..that was weird :eek:

8. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Me and my buddies saw Matthew McConaughey and Steve Zahn at the Sports Cafe in Piccadilly Circus in London a few years ago.

A few buxom blondes were all over Mr. McConaughey, but my friend and I walked over to Steve. My buddy says, "I just want you to know that Saving Silverman was the best movie ever." I just stood there nodding like a goof.

But Steve was quite pleasant and shook our hands.

I also ate dinner at a restaurant last month with Theo Epstein at the adjacent table. I texted my buddy, a Sox fan, and he texted back, "Punch him in the face for signing Lugo."

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

93Devil, The car alarm would be worth more than the car. This car defines "city mobile." It's a 1993 Honda. A giant moving dent, with more things wrong with it than right. The insurance payments are more than the car is worth, except it's nice to have, because I'd otherwise spend a fortune to rent cars, and this allows me to hop in for more spur of the moment things and take a drive to do grocery shopping instead of following the NYC buy-on-an-as-needed plan. I even took it to D.C. a few times last year, saying hail mary's the whole drive. I figure I can always abandon it in Delaware and catch a train, worse comes to worse.

It has 140,000 miles on it. The engine will still be running after the car survives a nuclear holocaust, but everything else in the car is breaking down, one thing at a time. I do just enough maintenance to keep it running. I don't use it every day. It often sits parked for days at a time and just gets moved from one side of the street to the other for alternate side parking rules (parking is ridiculously tight where I live). What cracks me up is that on a block lined up with new Audis, BMWs and nice-looking cars of all varieties, some moron broke into this car. It was probably a homeless guy looking for change. He rifled through the glove compartment and threw everything on the floor and left the ashtrays open. At least he jimmied he lock instead of breaking the window. I have had the window broken twice (and the side view mirrors inexplicably pulled off twice).

No way I am putting a car alarm on the car. There is nothing in it worth taking. I consider the broken windows, the parking tickets and the times I have paid to get it from the tow yard part of the cost of living here. Having a car I don't have to worry much about makes it easier for me. With a nicer car, I'd feel obligated to park it off the street, and that can run from $275 to $450 a month around here, depending on whether it is an outdoor lot, exactly where it is located and what the security is like. It's an expense I can't afford. I'd even leave this thing unlocked, except for a small suspicion that someone might steal the airbags if I make it THAT easy.

10. 93Devil

Oh, I forgot him.

He had a whoopie cushion at the club on day and some old ladies found it less than amusing.

The Smothers brother who did the yo-yo tricks gave us a quick show as well.

God, I loved that job.

11. 93Devil

I understand what you are saying, but the guy who robbed you saw you park the car and did not hear the chirp of you setting the alarm.

I know you don't want to spend money. I was just explaining why your car was picked out.

I have a 1998 Civic with 197,000 miles on it, and it was stolen (and recovered!!!) for the exact same reason. No chirp.

12. He had his handi-gas toy the day I met him...

Draft saved Draft deleted