1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I just rode the subway with Neil Young

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Jan 7, 2008.

1. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

In the 80s, the Dallas Mavericks and the LA Lakers were in a heated playoff series.

I was driving to work in downtown Dallas. I stopped at a red light at that little street between Reunion Arena and the Reunion Hotel.

Light turns green, I hit the gas. All of a sudden this huge purple-suited black man leaps into my view, running across the road and slapping my hood to stop me.

It was Kareem, in his warm-ups, heading for a shoot-around, I guess.

If I had been late for work and gunned the car when the light changed, the Mavs might've won that series.

2. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr R,

Ken Thomson used to make my father sandwiches when he'd go over to do repairs on the Lord-mobile. I helped KT to the counter once (the Lord was wearing Bermuda shorts walking along the Danforth) with two plastic bags full of small bottles of Welch's White Grape Juice. Yes, he was the ninth richest man in the world and I had to fight off the urge to take him hostage.

I'm still catching up on the sleep I lost from a week in the Dominican when the furniture in my hotel room was rattling all night long because I was in the room next to John Mayberry--don't know which was louder, him slamming hookers or snoring.

My daughter and her friends, about age 12 at the time, followed Lindsay Lohan all over Toronto one afternoon. She figured if you spot a celebrity you don't let her out of your sight.

YD&OHS, etc

3. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

I saw 2 $hort at the Salt Lake City Airport.
    A former co-worker of mine says he saw the Dalai Lama at the Houston airport. Another former co-worker insists he saw Mena Suvari at Rock and Bowl in New Orleans. And a buddy of mine was working at the LSU Union about 12 years ago when Radiohead and R.E.M. were playing on campus...Thom Yorke came in and bought a pack of gum and a New York Times.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The other guy didn't recognize him. Just heard the conversation. He was a black guy, total hip-hop look, baggy pants, hat brim perfectly straight with the stickers on it, gold jewelry. He did know who Neil Young was, though. That was a bit of a surprise. Knew specific songs and was genuinely taken aback that the guy was riding next to him on the subway. I think Young got a kick out of it. Other than that, total anonymity -- which isn't that uncommon on the subway. I once shared a 20 minute ride with Frank DeFord, who I had never met before. No one recognized him. Had a great conversation with him and exchanged info.

After my post about my long run in the morning followed by my subway ride by Neil Young earlier today and how I had peaked, I was definitely tempting fate. Today has been crazy. Really only 3 or 4 people on here know this, but I'll share... I gutted my apartment and have been doing a complete renovation. It has left me scrambling some nights with no place to stay and living out of a bag. It hasn't been fun and is going to last at least a month more... I made spare keys for the guys doing the work to get in and out, but they couldn't get it right. I tried it three times at three different places and the key wouldn't fit right. So over the course of a month, they mangled the cylinder to the point that last night I spent an hour trying to get in and and an hour trying to lock the door. Then this morning, they spent an hour trying to get in.

So I had to get a locksmith. While I was waiting for the locksmith, I figured I'd move my car to these spots that turn legal at 1 pm in my neighborhood. It buys me a week of parking. So I walk to where my car was -- not that close -- and when I get there, someone had broken in and left the door open, draining the battery. You have understand, I own the biggest piece of shit car you can imagine. It is a city mobile, not meant to get much use. I use it a little for work and when I need to get away. But it is falling apart. It's one giant dent, ugly as hell and has a zillion miles on it. Old Honda Accord. On a block full of Audis and BMWs, it always baffles me why I get broken into. There's nothing worth taking. So the person rifled through the glove compartment and ashtray looking for change and left everything on the floor. At least he didn't break the window. Jimmied it. I have had the windows broken, which is way more of a pain. So I walked about a quarter of a mile to this service station at the bottom of a big hill and borrowed their portable jumper. Car started up right away and I got a legal spot that had just opened up. But I had to get the charger back to the station and get back in time for the locksmith. So I didn't have time to let the car run and build up some charge, and I stupidly left the window open (the door handle doesn't work, so I have to open the window and open it from the outside). On the way back to meet the locksmith, I stopped to get the power window back up and the car was sitting there dead as a doornail with the window open.

Met the locksmith, put a high-end lock up top while he was there and replaced the mangled cylinder. He tells me he'll charge me no tax if I pay in cash. So I ask him where he is headed next and he drives me a quarter of a mile away from where I live to the bank so I can get some cash and waits. Then I walk back to apartment. Guys working are getting ready to leave. So as the guy is going to get their truck, I ask him for a jump. He jumps me, it starts right up and I sit there for 20 minutes hoping the battery got enough charge to hold. I am hoping I don't need a new battery, because I am at the point where it is not worth putting anything into this monstermobile.

But after my cool, run like Forrest Gump, ride the subway with Neil Young day, Karma set things straight today. I am finally back in the office. Had a boat load of phone messages and now need to do the work I was supposed to do three hours ago. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

5. cortez

cortez Member

I think Neil has more than redeemed himself for what, in the big scheme of things, was a blip on the radar screen of a 40-plus years (so far) career playing rock n roll. He's also one of the most socially aware rock stars ever. He's just as committed and passionate toward issues as Bono is - only without the primping.
    I fear Neil Young's greatness won't be truly appreciated until he is gone

6. EE94

EE94 Guest

peed in the urinal next to John Cusack at a premiere of Eight Men Out.
    He had his hand in a cast and was fumbling with his fly, but I didn't offer to help

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I saw Johnny Depp while I was shopping in a small store in London a few years back. It was a pretty snooty store and the employees were trying (with varying degrees of success) to hide their excitement. Johnny was quite hot in person.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I know someone here who would have. ...

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Buck, I interviewed Bill Walton at a urinal once, during a TV time-out or halftime of a game he was broadcasting. Kept talking right through him zipping up and washing his hands and then walked him out of the bathroom and back onto the floor. I got in about 10 questions that netted some strange answers for a magazine story for which he was a perfect offbeat quote.

10. He's also all over the map politically. He was a big Reagan supporter in the '80s.

But since he's never taken out U.S. citizenship, he hasn't been able to vote.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I ran into Eric "VICTOR! from Young & The Restless" Braeden in the Lambeau Field press box several years back.

Single weirdest celebrity sighting considering the setting, but apparently he's a big Packer fan going back to the Lombardi years.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I sat in a White Castle one booth over from Sandy.
    He didn't know who I was, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted