1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I just rode the subway with Neil Young

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Jan 7, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Young's dad was a sportswriter in Canada, right?

2. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Recently deceased (2006).
    One of the best up there, or at least most well-known
    I never read his stuff, sad to admit.

3. jmm1412

jmm1412 Member

Cool story. I love Neil. Even played in a Neil Young cover band in college. Ahh. Good times.

I have to disagree with the Trans remarks, though. I think it's still pretty bad. A couple of tunes hold up — Sample and Hold, mostly — but not so much the whole. That's my opinion at least.

And I've heard that the Skynyrd singer (a Van Zandt, I'm sure) was buried in his Neil Young t-shirt.

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

From a website:

Canadian sportswriter Scott Young was 87 when he died.

Scott Young's writing has been hailed as some of the finest to grace Canadian sports pages.

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Hey, we were in the booth next to David Crosby, wife and kid at the In 'N' Out next to LAX.
    If we could just pluck Graham Nash from the Chili's and Stephen Stills from El Pollo Loco, maybe they could put together a quartet.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I grew up reading Scott Young when he was the hockey columnist for the Globe & Mail. He was a regular on HNIC but got booted off when he made comments critical of the Leafs.

Great writer. Have an autographed copy of his bio on Punch Imlach.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

NYC

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I would have stammered like a fool and then asked him to sing Like A Hurricane. Great song.
    I read all 700 pages of his biography. Interesting dude.

9. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I remember reading that he said he was honored to be mentioned in the Skynyrd song.

10. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

you coulda asked him if he had any model subway cars in his train set

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Just saw on the Take Care thread that you ran a half marathon today....maybe you were hallucinating on the subway? Is there some terrified guy pacing his kitchen tonight wondering about the crazy man who kept babbling about Lynyrd Skynyrd?

12. I've heard that, too.

"Trans" is just a weird album. A lot of the songs sound like the usual Neil, but most of it sounds like Kraftwerk. I knew a lot of hardcore Neil Young fans back when it came out, and their reaction was "What the hell is this?" I thought at the time it was total crap, but "Sample and Hold" is a good song, and I like "Computer Age" and "We R In Control."

If you recall, that album started Young on the road to a lawsuit from Geffen for putting out "unrepresentative music."

Draft saved Draft deleted