1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I just rode the subway with Neil Young

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Jan 7, 2008.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

How many of you can say that?

Crowded subway car, people jammed elbow to elbow. I look at the guy next to me and he is wearing a ratty hooded zip-down sweat jacket, like the one I wore when I was 13. He has long straggly gray hair, horrible posture and looks like he has REALLY lived. I'm thinking, "Hey, he looks like Neil Young." I pause. "No, that IS Neil Young." So I strike up a conversation and he is a a really nice guy. Not the cantankerous coot I would have guessed. He seemed more interested in me and what I do than I was in him, and I was pretty damned blown away by riding the subway with Neil Young. Best moment was when this guy standing near us who was listening looks at him, shakes his head and says, "What you doing riding the subway?" Worst part was that I didn't have the presence of mind to blurt out, "Be honest, that Lynard Skynard song really pisses you off, doesn't it?"

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

There are lots of Neil Young impersonators on the subway. LOTS. And those are just the women.

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Oh, he's probably heard the Skynyrd thing a lot. No lost opportunity there. Great story, Ragu.

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Shoulda' offered up an opinion the "Trans" LP will likely get better reviews with age.
    Woulda' made his day.

Great story, Ragu.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

You should have said, "Hey hey, my my, Mr. Young."

I'll bet he's never heard that before, either.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Very cool.

Here's another thread to check out: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/35987/

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Riding Holy Rudy's silver seed to a new stop on the line.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Can you imagine if a kid dropped dead during the ride? Then you could point at him and go "there's one more kid who'll never go to school, never get to fall in love, never get to be cool."

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Hey, hey, the Cripple Creek Subway ...

10. John

John Well-Known Member

Nice.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That Skynyrd name-check probably made Neil millions south of the Mason-Dixon line. Hell no he's not pissed.

12. I read somewhere once that Young said he's rather listen to "Sweet Home Alabama" than "Southern Man" anytime. He said the first time he heard it, he liked the way they used their guitars. Then he heard his own name in it and thought, "Hey, this really IS good."

And yes, "Trans" has aged better than I ever thought it would. Far ahead of its time.

Just got done reading Young's biography written by his father. Interesting stuff.

What city did your encounter take place in, Ragu?

Draft saved Draft deleted