1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I just got an internship that will allow me to graduate in April.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by readyandwilling, Nov 12, 2009.

1. readyandwilling

readyandwilling New Member

How soon would you guys recommend I start applying for jobs?

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Seriously, you don't want to be graduating now. I graduated two years ago and wish I was still in school. Congrats on the internship.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Start applying now, and if this what you want to do, stop listening to the idiots telling you it can't be done.

5. readyandwilling

Thanks. I haven't worked this hard not to at least give it a shot. I just wonder

if employers would give me a serious look if I don't graduate until April.

6. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

They certainly won't give you any kind of look if you don't apply.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Is that a question?

8. readyandwilling

Oops. I meant I'm just wondering if employers would give me a serious look yet,

or if I should wait a while.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

What's going to happen if you apply now with a cover letter stating you'll be available in April?

"Man, this kid is planning ahead and showing initiative. That's the last thing we want in a reporter. Blacklist him!"

10. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

May as well start applying now for two reasons...

1.) It will likely take you that long to land a job. Given the current status of the industry and the fact that you're a newbie, it may be a long search.

2.) It will give you all that time to sharpen your interview skills, improve your cover letter pitch, etc. etc.

11. readyandwilling

Fair enough. Thanks for the advice, guys

:)

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What kind of internship is it? When will it start? I say dive into your intership first and maybe the bosses there will know of some openings or can at least be solid references. That could be your best chance of entry into a job, so I say wait a bit.

Draft saved Draft deleted