1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I just found the worst hockey parent ever

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Jan 17, 2010.

1. JR

JR Active Member

Fifteen year old AAA layer gets hit from behind and is left with "a concussion, a brain injury and lacerations to his head" and the kid who hit him had eleven (!) checking-from-behind penalties between 2002 and 2009.

The referee who officiated the game said it was the worst check from behind he'd ever seen in his career.

And here's the statement from the parent of the kid responsible for the hit:

A physical style of game which inevitably attracts penalties have an important role in the game of hockey and are highly valued at all competitive levels, including the National Hockey League," says the statement of defence. "(Park) had no reasonable prospects of obtaining a hockey scholarship or having a career in hockey prior to the bodycheck in any event.

AAA hockey parents are in a league of their own when it comes to idiocy but this one takes the cake.

Tar and feathering would be too good for this parent.
  2. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Yikes. And WTF do the victim's future hockey prospects matter, in any event?

Sounds like that rotten apple isn't falling too far from the tree.
  3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Well, if they're suing for loss of future earnings/loss of future scholarship money, showing he wasn't going to get that anyway works to that end.

And, JR, I've found the worst official in the world. From the same story, conveniently not quoted:

Fuck you, dude.
  4. JR

JR Active Member

You're confusing bad officials with bad metaphors. But I get your point which, of course, is not my point.

The fact that some asshole parent figures he can downplay the seriousness of the hit and the subsequent lawsuit because the kid may or may not have a future in hockey is so objectionable it's not even worth discussing.
  5. fishhack2009

This goes to trial and that quote gets into evidence, I'm guessing the punitive damages are off the charts.

The parents ... not the official. And the official's a moron.
  6. imjustagirl

Again, if someone's suing you for loss of future revenue, it becomes your job to show they wouldn't HAVE any future revenue. That's the point.

This isn't even the worst quote I read today.
  7. JR

JR Active Member

The 9/11 quote was stupid but has nothing to do with the issue and likely would have nothing to do with any lawsuit. The lawyers on either side wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.
  8. JR

JR Active Member

Except this happened in Canada where, you know, we have a different justice system.

So your point is irrelevant.
  9. fishhack2009

Sorry, JR... I was referring to the parents' quote.

Can you share with us how the Canadian system is different from here?
  10. imjustagirl

Very interested in this, to know how my point is irrelevant.
  11. imjustagirl,

Under Canadian tort law, personal injury settlements are determined by a variety of factors, including medical bills, future damages, extent of harm, loss in wages and loss in future earnings.

Thus, it would be upon the civil-suit party to prove a loss in future earnings--rendering your comment quite relevant to the discussion.
  12. imjustagirl

Thank you, Ms. Corningstone. I admittedly know little about Canadian law, but I couldn't see a way in which that wouldn't be part of the proceedings.
Draft saved Draft deleted