1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I just found out my 5th grade teacher is a convicted child molester

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Nov 11, 2013.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The fuck I can't.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sad thing is, I wasn't even thinking of reporters and photographers being dirtbags because I'd seen it too often.

One photographer I worked with met this teenage girl on an assignment. Makes a plan with her to come back later for a "private modeling shoot." She apparently thinks better of it during the day and when he returns, the girl's mother is there with her and not at all pleased. Somehow, he weaseled his way out of that one.

I worked with at least two other sports writers I can think of who would make disgusting comments about underage female athletes, but as far as I know, that's all they did.

One other guy developed a bit of an obsession with a female athlete he wrote about. (This was before I worked with him). He would call her just to talk. I don't know how far it got, but eventually the SE had to step in and tell him to stay away from her. Later, he dated a friend of mine and I heard a few more stories about how odd he was from her.

Then there was the SE I worked with who made a move on a very young intern. Scary part is that he also coached a high school sports team.

Lots of fucked up people out there.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

One of our video editors was arrested at a public pool where he was hanging out in the locker room, approaching little boys to see if they wanted to roll a condom onto his dick.

Police searched his car and found a map with all of the pools in the area circled.

A few months later he contacted a co-worker asking if he could crash at her place for a while, because he'd just been released from jail and couldn't go home because he wasn't allowed within 500 feet of children. She declined.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

A guy who briefly worked for a competitor paper covering preps once asked a soccer player out after interviewing her after the game. She was 17, he was 22. Not a huge age difference, but considering he had already graduated college and she was still in high school, it was definitely skeevy.

Surprisingly, they later married and are still together 10 years later.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Sadly, I kind of feel the same way at this point.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I don't know how I survived childhood with a Sandusky booty bandit around every corner, apparently by reading this thread.

7. Maybe I told this before:
    Kid I went to high school with.. his dad was elementary school principal. About a decade after we graduated he was arrested, charged and convicted of the molestation of a 10-year-old kid. He would take him on camping trips, feed him Nyquil and ... yeah ....

The kid came from a troubled home.

Also turns out the guy had similar accusations leveled at him decades earlier at his previous elementary school. The school system officials who hired him apparently never did any homework on him. The school board got sued (20 years and x number of members later) and lost. Big time.

The prev's kid that I went to school with - who also had a younger sister (kinda cute too) - was different, weird. When all this shit came out, everyone kind of understood why. Or at least had their suspicions. Sad.

And to FB's point ... Any coach who doesn't or didn't have kids in school raises a big ole Red Flag for me. As well as the points 93D raised.
    Trust but verify.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'd rather be the paranoid parent than the parent who missed an opportunity to protect his kid.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, parent-coaches bring their own special bundle of problems into the youth-coaching dynamic. Many districts actually forbid parents from coaching their own kids.

Many teaching and coaching rules and regulations now say an adult teacher/coach and a student are never supposed to be in a room alone together.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

When I was a kid, probably 10 or 11 or so, we were having some sort of church-related party. I remember a priest walking up to me and starting to rub my shoulders, in front of about 20 other kids and a couple adults. I had no idea why I was chosen. It felt weird and I felt ashamed of myself, like I'd done something wrong. I told my parents about it, who in turn called the parish pastor ... that priest disappeared a couple months later to another assignment, never knew what happened to him.

Twelve or 13 years later, when the priest scandal hit its peak and the public found out about how priests had been moved around repeatedly, it made a lot more sense.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Counting down until Poin finds him online...

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This.

Draft saved Draft deleted