1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I just filed taxes today. :D

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by forever_town, Apr 13, 2008.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Of course no one using EZ should use a pro.

But if you are always using EZ, it means you never own a home and never have capital gains.

Simple is good. But not that simple.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Didn't say it wasn't.

Just said it wasn't good.

And not making enough to be able buy a home . . . is not good.

We're not disagreeing on anything. If your taxes are complicated, it usually (but not always) means you're doing well. I wish I needed an accountant. Because it probably would mean I could afford one.

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Owed the gov. $110. Not too bad.

Didn't wait until April 15 to send them the check, though. I can't trust myself to remember if I wait.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I did mine and just got drilled on the Self-Employment tax...
    Carved more off the rest than I thought I would, but self employment just dry fucked me in the ass.

15 percent of 92.5 percent my asss...

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

how is it possible not to remember? you'd have to live in a cave to have it get past you.

we've already received the usual large refund from federal. but since i live in n.y. but work in joisey, i pay taxes to both states. tiny refund from joisey (less than 100 bucks) and owe n.y. about a grand. that check goes out tomorrow. eff 'em. the fed check more than pays for that.

and you can bet we won't "forget." ::) ::) ::)

now that the college years are beginning, add me to the list of those who argue that college tuition should be deductible. :D :D :D

6. wizardofgore

wizardofgore New Member

even thugs do they taxes... LOL

http://www.whatupthug.com/?p=783 ;D

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

If anyone still needs their taxes done, I'm sure Andy Dufresne would help.

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Hate this damned day every year, since 2000. Since then, a little less than half my income from freelancing. Take it in the ass every year. (I know -- should have adjusted the withholding from the full-time gig to compensate. As a friend, Just_a_SID, likes to say, it's "losing because of stupidity.")

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I feel ya, Killick. My freelancing last year was significantly better than the year before, yet I was making quarterly IRS payments off that old income. So I'm taking it on the chin today.

Also, the one time I regret moving out of Florida is when making those state income tax payments...

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i received one of my refunds today. good times. good times.

11. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

playthrough, read the fine print on the estimated tax instructions in Pub. 505. You can vary the amount you pay quarter-by-quarter if your freelance income varies. That way, you don't get socked by surprise (or dread what's coming) later.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I owe a shitpot, and I got into the post office at five minutes to 7.

It's the moral victories.

Maybe next year I'll finally wise up, get a Real Job and enjoy a refund.

Draft saved Draft deleted